Used Blaze King: what to look for??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herdbull

Dec 31, 2010
Wisconsin
I stumbled on this used Blaze King not far from my house and I have a question or 2 for you guys. Any areas of concern I should look for? Any known problems with these older stoves? Or Blaze King in general? I've only heard good things about them.

Currently I have a Napolean 1101 as my main stove/insert upstairs and I also have a secondary stove in the basement for when it gets cold. The second stove was just a cheap, used, smaller Century stove which I would replace with the Blaze King. Heck I might even replace the 1101 upstairs if the Blaze King would fit. Not as nice to look at but would heat the upstairs "easier" than the 1101.

Thanks everyone.

Blaze King for sale

Cant help, but man is that thing ugly!

Not sure that is one of the cat stoves that you have probably been reading about. I'd check the model number. If its not, I think you are probably better off with the Englander for a big heater if that is what you are shopping for.

Yep..BBK cat or forget it.
Check for cracks around the corners of the door area...not the door..on the stove.

that thing will heat your socks off faster then a bk cat, i know because i just switched from the non cat to the cat but i also went from the king to the princess so that might be some of it.

Yep..burned the BK non cat for over 20 years..it will heat big time.. but has a BIG appetite!
There was no baffle in my old one..straight up the flue!

Only get it if it is a CATALYTIC stove (they are epa approved and burn much longer and cleaner). I am in Alaska and this BK ULTRA KING is by far the best stove I have ever owned, it is heating our whole house, 2200 sq ft. and right now it is -35

i tell you what, im glad i will have the non cat blaze king in my pole barn instead of my new blaze king princess cat stove. as i know the blaze king non epa will eat lots of wood it will forsure give me lots of quicker heat.

greythorn3 said:
i tell you what, im glad i will have the non cat blaze king in my pole barn instead of my new blaze king princess cat stove. as i know the blaze king non epa will eat lots of wood it will forsure give me lots of quicker heat.
You are correct imo!
The old ones make a great blast furnace..no cat to worry about!

the princess cat sure does make it more liveable in the stove room tho, seems to have allot more "control" over the heat.

greythorn3 said:
the princess cat sure does make it more liveable in the stove room tho, seems to have allot more "control" over the heat.
Correct again,,it's a beautiful thing..though some say they are ugly! lol

yeah it is kind of ugly but this would more than likely replace the Century (secondary stove) I have in the basement. That firebox is really small and it doesn't have a blower. Plus I only paid $225 for it. Feeding this stove would not be an issue as it would only run for maybe 2-3 months. And that wouldn't be continuous, just as needed.

I actually thought the price was pretty decent if it is fully functional. I have yet to make contact with the seller so I have no idea what the model is. I'm guessing early to mid 80's, no cat and it looks like it has cord coming from it.

I will check for cracking or cracked welds, see if it has a baffle of sorts and condition of bricks & pipe. EPA approved would be nice but I'm not holding my breath. One of the issues with my 1101 is the short box depth. I would love to burn N/S but I only have about 13" to do so.

Thanks for the input.

herdbull said:
yeah it is kind of ugly but this would more than likely replace the Century (secondary stove) I have in the basement. That firebox is really small and it doesn't have a blower. Plus I only paid $225 for it. Feeding this stove would not be an issue as it would only run for maybe 2-3 months. And that wouldn't be continuous, just as needed.

I actually thought the price was pretty decent if it is fully functional. I have yet to make contact with the seller so I have no idea what the model is. I'm guessing early to mid 80's, no cat and it looks like it has cord coming from it.

I will check for cracking or cracked welds, see if it has a baffle of sorts and condition of bricks & pipe. EPA approved would be nice but I'm not holding my breath. One of the issues with my 1101 is the short box depth. I would love to burn N/S but I only have about 13" to do so.

Thanks for the input.

Probably early to mid 80's. Start the bidding at $400

Thanks for the info guys but I decided against pursuing this stove. I'm going to stick with my initial plan to upgrade the 1101 with something bigger (deeper). Probably it's older brother the 1402. The Century I have for a second stove will do just fine as that, a secondary stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.