used englander 25-PDV pellet stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucknljake

Oct 3, 2007
I've decided to move away from my wood stove and started looking at pellet stoves (there's several reasons why).

I took a look at a used '96 Englander 25-PDV pellet stove today a guy was selling on the local classifieds. asking price was $900
it looked clean and not overused or abused, I also fired it up and had it running for a good 20 mins or so just to verify that it works well.

my question is, is buying a used pellet stove of this age a maintenance headache risk?

also, have there been many changes in this model (besides the auto igniter) from this one vs. the new ones being sold @ lowes/HD ?

at first glance the hopper latches are the older (non flush) style and the control panel is not the current digital style (it just had a temp knob, blower knob, and on/off buttons), but I have no idea if there's much of a difference on the internals.

Seems like a really high price for an 11 year old stove. I'll let Mike chime in, but I would guess it sold for less than $900 in 1996. Have you checked out the price of buying one new?

ok im here,the old girl im sure still has a lot of fight left in her, note though that the 25-pdv brand new runs about 4 to 5 hundred dollars more brand new (with warrantee). that unit was about 1300 when it was sold new. BUT the unit is a tank! we build pellet stoves heavy, the internals are very heavy guage and will last a long, long time. as far as replacements for parts are concerned (if needed) , i can fully support that unit. the new digital board will retrofit any of our stoves dating back to 1990. motors, augers, blowers are all bolt on replacements. that said , i'd still think that the price may be a bit high for that old a unit.

EDIT: just reread. the unit has had several upgrades , mostly electrical (circuit board) but the overall unit has seen some changes as well. new flush latches, different feed system, larger convection blower capacity 140cfm in this unit to 250 cfm in new units, different burn pot. overall the 96 unt was a great unit , the new one is just 11 years worth of tweaking better. if you want to know specifics PM me and i'll discuss them with you (i have a "no selling in the forum rule" self imposed. be happy to chat with you though about old or new units

Thanks for all of the advice. This forum has been an invaluable resource :)
That model at my local lowes (central PA) is $1750 currently but if prices commonly fall to as low as they've been mentioned on here, I can likely wait and get a new one for they price they are asking for that used one. Since this won't be my primary heat source, I should be OK waiting it out til spring time.

Who knows If they clearance them down a good bit, I'd probably get a multi-fuel one instead (like the 10-CDV, or the 10-CPM) I gotta figure having an ash pan would be a plus.

bucknljake said:
That model at my local lowes (central PA) is $1750 currently but if prices commonly fall to as low as they've been mentioned on here, I can likely wait and get a new one for they price they are asking for that used one. Since this won't be my primary heat source, I should be OK waiting it out til spring time.

Who knows If they clearance them down a good bit, I'd probably get a multi-fuel one instead (like the 10-CDV, or the 10-CPM) I gotta figure having an ash pan would be a plus.

I have seen the same prices in Upstate NY. I would be willing to take a drive if you can tell me where they were $500, or is that the wholesale price.

Brent

The local Home Depot here in Lebanon, Ohio ran their corn, pellet and wood stoves at 50% off last spring. I should have bought one then, but waiting till this fall to pay full price :)

bfraymond said:
bucknljake said:

I have seen the same prices in Upstate NY. I would be willing to take a drive if you can tell me where they were $500, or is that the wholesale price.

Brent

i boo-boo'd , meant to say that they were 4 to 5 hundred more than the 900 he was quoted new, sorry, i'll update the previous post , musta had a few too many when i posted that

Status
Not open for further replies.