Used Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beagleman

Mar 8, 2014
KY
I was looking on craigslist and came across a used Englander 30. They wanted $350.. Is that a good price? Is their something I need to look for when looking at this stove? Does it matter how old this stove is? No blower either. Thank You for any advice.

The main thing to look for is abuse and overfiring. This may show up as chalky greyish paint areas, warped or split secondary tubes, etc.. Make sure there are no cracks and that the door is true and closes flat with the body.

IIRC, the ceramic baffle boards are kinda pricey, and don't hold up to abuse when loading. The used 30 I looked was rode hard, and those baffle were in pieces in the bottom of the stove. They were at $450 and wouldn't budge, so I passed.

Jeff_t is correct, the baffle boards are on the $$ side of things, also FYI England is retiring the NC30 soon, will be replaced with a newer (better?) stove, all this is being said there may be some over stock at home depot, and there be some sales coming up. I would look at the used stove very carefully, take pics if you can and post them here, there are many well educated stoves guys than can provide much needed advice, if the stove checks out then buy it, if it needs parts of looks abused / overused then take a pass and for a little more $$ buy a new one. I think the lowest HD sale I saw was $649.99 brand new. You can buy it online then either have it delivered or pick it up at the nearest store. All in all the Englander NC30 has had some very positive reviews here and I don't think I ever read a negative one yet were the stove was the problem, usually it the lack of dry wood.

Reactions: CenterTree
At the show I asked the folks at Englander about having two 3 cu ft models and if they would be retiring the 30NC. They said they have no plans for that. Good thing too. Personally I think the 30NC is a much better looking stove.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
As of a couple days ago, the 30NC was still on sale at the Johnson City, TN HD for a whopping $649 plus shipping (and tax if you live in TN).

Status
Not open for further replies.