used Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I am getting a used jotul 602 for free. The owner said it has a small crack on the front of the stove but they have used the stove for several years with the crack and the stove works fine. Is there any way to fix the crack? I have read these stoves are prone to overfireing. Would lineing the inside of the stove with firebrick help prevent overfireing?

You can patch the crack with furnace cement. THe crack might stop, or it might continue until it reaches an edge of the casting. I personally would replace the front casting of the stove if it was cracked.

Lining the inside of the stove with firebrick won't help with overfiring. It will however make the firebox even tinier, assuming the correct cast iron burn plates are still inside it. If you have the original burn plates in it and all the seams are well sealed with good cement and the door is gasketed well, you shouldn't have problems with overfiring. Overfiring in these stoves tend to happen when the cement or the gasket gives less than ideal sealing.

Before I put the stove into service, I'd break it down and give it a full rebuild with fresh cement and a new face.

matt, welcome. This is a great little stove. Check the back and see if it looks perfect or if there are any hairline cracks under the flue exit. Also examine the interior liner plates Are they solid and without cracks? Does the upper baffle plate sit on top of the side plates tightly (no gap)? If no defects are observed you may be good to go. But if not, don't despair. Parts are still available and after a rebuild the stove is a joy to use.

Yes it has a hankering to overfire. You need to watch the air and temps. A stack damper also helps and a good thermometer is almost a necessity. When I rebuilt mine I added a rear heat shield on the interior that really helped protect the back from overheating. Other than that it is an easy stove to rebuild, so don't be concerned if it's required.

MatT: if the price is right and you are willing to repair the crack piece It may be ok.. think this through why did it crack in the first place? Someone has admitted it is easy to over fire

In all probability it has benn overfired and cracked the stove. At this point one must ask the question of how much additional damage may have occured Metal strenght is effected by overfiring heat placing bricks inside is trying to re engineers a stove without any testing also making a small fire box that much smaller

As an inspector If i spotted the crack during Inspection I would condem the stove and fail the inspection. By code I would have to. I could never let a damaged stove opperate
I would never allow a patch with gasket cement either. especially on an outer casing or casting. Be very carefull here it may be a decent deal if bought cheap enough, to allow for the replacement and repair, Probably the entire stove will require rebuilding to replace that cracked casting

Matt, can you post a picture of the crack? It's hard to judge what caused it without seeing it. But a stove for free is hard to beat at even twice the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.