Used Jotul F500 worth 1600??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning to buy a Quadra Fire Isle Royale but it was a little more than I wanted to spend (2600), I found one year old Jotul F500 for sale for 1600.00. It is also a three hour drive each way for me to get it. Is the stove worth 1600.00 and is it similar to the Quad Isle Royale?

And the 30% credit gets your Quad close to $1800.

Thanks for the advice, I will see if I can get him to drop the price by explaining the tax credit. I just worry that I will never get that credit, has anyone else gotten it?

bassmaster17327 said:
Thanks for the advice, I will see if I can get him to drop the price by explaining the tax credit. I just worry that I will never get that credit, has anyone else gotten it?

The credit is easy to get when you file the long form 1040. (I got one for new windows last year.)

I dont think you will get a new oslo for $1600. $2400 less still comes out over 2 grand, then you got sales tax on top of that. See if you can offer less and strike up a deal, and no sales tax. I would say the stove is worth close to that if in nice shape

Hanko said:
I dont think you will get a new oslo for $1600. $2400 less still comes out over 2 grand, then you got sales tax on top of that. See if you can offer less and strike up a deal, and no sales tax. I would say the stove is worth close to that if in nice shape

$2400 is $1680 after the credit.

I paid $2520 WITH 7% sales tax for a blue/black Oslo I am picking up Saturday. Matte black will be ~$300 cheaper.

ac

avc8130 said:
Hanko said:

$2400 is $1680 after the credit.

I paid $2520 WITH 7% sales tax for a blue/black Oslo I am picking up Saturday. Matte black will be ~$300 cheaper.

ac

I thought the tax credit was 15% . Me bad.

You'll get the tax credit provided you havent used the credit on other energy improvements within the last 2 years and you have to pay income tax. Check with your accountant and go buy a new stove FAST

We just picked up a Matte Black Oslo for $2499 before sales tax.
Not sure how the tax credit takes sales tax into consideration, but just considering the stove we should be at $1750 after the tax incentive.

I still need to get my flue materials, which will be included for the IRS.

avc8130 said:

ac

That's a great price. I just bought a blue/black Oslo for about 2700 plus sales tax.

Coach B said:
avc8130 said:

ac

That's a great price. I just bought a blue/black Oslo for about 2700 plus sales tax.

I called around to every dealer within 2 hours drive. They ALL quoted $2583 plus tax. The closest one that had seen/heard from me 4 times on my stove purchase finally said "what if I make you an offer you can't refuse?". At that moment I ripped out the credit card :)
ac

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
The Oslo should be under $2000 for a matte black.
Hey John, does your local dealer sell under MSRP? Or maybe he was running a sale when you got yours? The Oslo is $2,246.00 MSRP.

Keep in mind that the this is a tax credit, not a rebate! It only is beneficial if you owe Federal taxes. Lots of people have been confused about this. I will sell you a an F-500 in Blue/Black for that price that has only been used two seasons, I will even meet you half way with it!

webby3650 said:
Keep in mind that the this is a tax credit, not a rebate! It only is beneficial if you owe Federal taxes. Lots of people have been confused about this. I will sell you a an F-500 in Blue/Black for that price that has only been used two seasons, I will even meet you half way with it!

If you say paid $3000 for a stove, and you owed $1000 or more to the IRS, then you will get the full benefit, even if you are due a tax refund. If you owe no taxes (say you started a new business and are claiming a net loss, or you are very low income), then no, there's no tax benefit, and the credit does not carry forward to future years.

This FAQ may be helpful: http://energystar.supportportal.com...?deptID=23018&task=knowledge&questionID=19370

The $2400 price does not come the the options such as blower and rear heat sheild. If the used Oslo has these accesories and more it may be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.