Used Jotul F600 - Looking for help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulFire

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hello all.
I'm very new to this website and thread. After reading several previous posts about the Jotul F600 I thought I throw out some questions.
I picked up a used Jotul F600 a few days ago for $750.00 (I think I got a good deal). The gentleman I bought the stove from bought it new on 11/29/2004. The stove appears to be in good condition, I checked the baffels and they appear to be good, burn tubes are also good and there appears to be no obvious cracks or damage. We have a Jotul F400 at our cabin in NE PA and really enjoy it, I'm hoping for similar success with my used F600.
Questions:
1. Proper cleaning - I want to give the stove a good cleaning before I put it into use. Does this require taking anything apart? If so, what?
2. Additional Inspection - I checked the obvious parts of the stove for damage and everything appears to be good. What else should I check before putting the stove to use?
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Jotul Pic 1.jpg
    Jotul Pic 1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 870
  • Jotul Pic 2.jpg
    Jotul Pic 2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 438
  • Jotul Pic 3.jpg
    Jotul Pic 3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
Nice find! Just double check all the gaskets and clean out the area above the baffle with a shop vac.

What webby said...

Love the stove. I paid $1000 for a 2005 Oslo that had three seasons on it in 2011. Looks like you got a good deal to me!

Welcome to the forums. I also recently picked up a used F600, for about the same price, thought it is a few years older. Mine had warped baffle plates and no insulation above the baffle (which I was aware of before purchasing), and some source of air leak leading to short burn times (an issue I've at least partly resolved with new gaskets and cement).

After visually inspecting gaskets, seams, etc. (with dollar bill test, and/or a bright light inside the stove) this sort of problem of course can often only be discovered once the stove is fired and seen in action. Using incense one can observe where smoke is drawn into the stove.

Hopefully the stove will have no issues. Important to the performance will be your flue setup (ideally a 6" liner) and wood quality (ideally cut/split/stacked for a year or more). Happy burning!

The blue-black enamel just needs wiping down with a slightly damp rag. It's a nice, tough finish.

Clean the bottom interior grate area thoroughly and wipe with a rag. Then look for any cracks in the base around the grate. Also inspect for any cracks around the flue collar. Do a dollar bill test on the door and ashpan door gaskets to make sure they are still sealing well.

If all checks out you should be good to go. Do a couple small break-in fires first with just kindling, then just kindling plus a few 2-3" splits. After that fire her up and enjoy your new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.