Used Lopi Insert Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregp553

Nov 15, 2009
SE Michigan
Looking for purchase advice. Found a 1991 Lopi Freedom LX insert and surround that supposedly is in fine operating order, no cracks or damage, except for a blower that does not work. It has square secondary tubes (he says) and the fire bricks are not broken. I have not seen it. Is it worth $500? More? Less? Seller says a new blower could be $280. Any advice?

Pretty sure that's an EPA stove and all but it's an older one... I would try to get it for a little less if you can but if it is very sound and in good shape it will probably be worth that to you. (Pretty sure that a new version of the same would cost over $2200) The older models do seem to hold up pretty well by this maker. You could try to find a blower (or fix that one) for cheaper or try to run it without one. Sounds like the seller is being pretty honest and all. But if you are still wondering maybe price out what a new one would cost with the blower and etc, or what a new one by another maker would cost, and then compare that to what he's asking for an almost 20 yr old stove and see if it's worth it to you. If it's still well under half what you would pay after the 30% tax rebate, perhaps that is a good bottom line. Good luck!

I have a Lopi 1750i insert which sticks out a fair bit from the fireplace it doesn't seem to put out much heat without having the blower running. You might be able to get a motor (if that is the problem) from Grainger or some other supplier more cheaply than through Lopi. I would figure the blower price into your purchase price which would still be considerably less than a brand new insert. I am not 100% sure but I wouldn't think the efficiency of a EPA I stove would be that much greater than that of an EPA II (if the insert you are looking at is in fact EPA certified).

Let us know what you decide and good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Seller said he's firm on the price because he said it's a high demand insert. I would believe that if it wasn't 19 years old. But maybe it is anyway. I guess my big concern is the age of the unit. I would want the blower working so that would be a project. Thanks.

He's way overpriced. The blower alone is over half that. You should be able to get good inserts used for well under $700.

Status
Not open for further replies.