Used Lopi insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Hanson

Nov 27, 2013
Colorado
Just started researching here and though I would try and get some info from you here. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Heatilator eco insert $1200, then I found a used Lopi at a fireplace store for $950 he says it works great has blower 1998-2000 model, the fire box is around 1.8'. My house is about 1100sf on the main level which is what I'm trying to heat with this unit alone, will this get the job done? 50,000-60,000 BTU?

Picture didn't come through. It sounds like an Endeavor which is a good stove. $950 seems high for a 13 yr old stove. Ask if there was work done on it like burn tube and firebrick replacement. If not, offer $800 cash and have it on hand.

Can you see if this picture works? If not I could email you the pic? I can't seem to find this model online? He said he replaced some of the bricks and cleaned the blower.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That works. It's an early Avalon, not Lopi, it lacks the bypass. I thought maybe an Olympic but the firebox looks too small? Maybe a Pendleton? There should be a tag on the side or back of the insert that indicates make/model Or measure the firebox up H + W + D to figure its cu ftg.

EDIT: I'm thinking a Pendleton. If so, this is a small stove, 1.3 cu ft. It will not do an overnight burn well at all.

Last edited:
Personally I prefer the Englander, particularly for service. It's a proven heater. They should both be at your Home Depot. Compare side by side and tell us what you think.

No, you can't use that liner. It's aluminum and meant for gas, not for the high temps of a wood fire. You need an all-fuel or solid-fuel stainless liner for a wood insert. Home Depot sells them but there are less expensive options. Have you measured from the chimney top to down below the fireplace damper? How tall a liner do you need?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.