Used Mansfield 8011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Dempsey

Sep 8, 2013
Iphone June 2014 224.JPG

Well friends;

Just purchased this used Mansfield for about 15 - 1800 less than I was prepared to pay for a new one ... the guy had broken the little ceramic baffle in the top, and replaced it while I was standing there purchasing the stove .... at least I now know how to remove theair tubes etc.

I'm looking at the blow-up diagram, however, and it looks like it needs some kind of ceramic blanket over the top. Is this true?

Do I need to purchase from Hearthstone?

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one nice looking stove! I like a nice rustic look. Seems quite large. How many square feet will it heat? And is that soapstone?

You can get the ceramic blanket material from a kiln supply store or off of ebay.

Reactions: Jason Dempsey
Perfect ... thanks
Oh right ... yeah, soapstone, and like BrotherBart said ... 550 pounds ... believe it!

Heats up 2500 square feet, but what attracted me to it is ... well, besides being a beauty, it has a large fire box, will hold a fire for about ten hours (I think) and will retain heat for something like 12, so if I'm out for extended periods, the house should be reasonably warm.

You can get the ceramic blanket material from a kiln supply store or off of ebay.
So tell me BrotherBart, do I need to be very specific about dimensions? should it fill the void between the top of the ceramic baffle and the bottom of the soap stone top above?

Hi Jason- No it doesn't fill the void, it insulates the temp below the cer baffle so the air tubes will create more secondary combustion before it goes up and around the baffle and exits. The Mansfield is a beauty, paint up that ashlip, tape off and paint the castings and clean the glass a bit, she'll be all set. Careful moving her, she is a backstrain/hernia waiting!! ha. Beauty of a stove though.

You don't want it blocking the exhaust exiting from the front of the baffle and back to the flue collar. I don't know what the thickness is for the Manny but 1/4" or 1/2" should be fine.

Don't think I've seen anything more than about half inch for HS. Some Quads are 1 inch, some are half inch. Don't recall many HS blankets being replaced...

Hi Jason- No it doesn't fill the void, it insulates the temp below the cer baffle so the air tubes will create more secondary combustion before it goes up and around the baffle and exits. The Mansfield is a beauty, paint up that ashlip, tape off and paint the castings and clean the glass a bit, she'll be all set. Careful moving her, she is a backstrain/hernia waiting!! ha. Beauty of a stove though.
You guys rock (get it? soapstone? rock? oh nevermind!)

anyway, great info, you just answered all my questions ... I shall find some! doesn't sound like dimensions are all that critical.

Hey ... I'm thinking about putting in a damper in the exit pipe. Thoughts?

Just found the measurements for it.

14" x 22" x 1/4"

Actually, the ash plate there is just dirty with ashes, not corroded or anything.

Any suggestions for cleaning stove glass?

Hey ... I'm thinking about putting in a damper in the exit pipe. Thoughts?

Don't fix a problem you don't have.

What is the chimney setup gonna be for the stove?

Nice find!

Don't fix a problem you don't have.

What is the chimney setup gonna be for the stove?
double wall interior pipe, thimble through the wall, and metalbestos or the like right up past the peak.

I have some old 8" metalbestos, and some is good, but some has corrosion, and some is heavy with moisture.

Can I mate 6" pipe to 8" pipe, and can I use some of the 8" pipe even if it seems very heavy? will the insulation be compromised?

How tall is the outside pipe gonna be? Eight inch isn't gonna give you optimum draft and being exterior it will be harder to heat up and get a draft started. Do this thing right. You saved a ton on the stove.

How tall is the outside pipe gonna be? Eight inch isn't gonna give you optimum draft and being exterior it will be harder to heat up and get a draft started. Do this thing right. You saved a ton on the stove.
15 - 20 feet going up.

Stay with 6" pipe then?

and tell me ... is it possible to get longer side brackets to push the pipe away from the house about a foot or so so that I can
a)Get a straight shot up without elbows, and
b) So I don't have to cut through the overhang on the roof?

Yeah stand-off brackets are available. Some our pros will step in on that one.

Ya done good on that price. $2.72 a pound. You can't buy dirt for that anymore.

Hi Jason, congrats on the new buy. I realized the ashlip was just dirty, the service guy in me wanted to see it painted...
glass can be cleaned with a number of products, some use the various hearth glass cleaners available, I use the rutland hearth and glass cleaner, it has silicone to coat the glass and makes ash adhere to it less, cleans up stuff pretty easily too. If the glass is stained or has milkiness in it, it usually will not clean up completely. That's fine though, you'll still get a great view of the fire.
X2 with BB on the chimney, if you even think it's compromised, replace and have peace of mind. Good luck, careful moving her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah stand-off brackets are available. Some our pros will step in on that one.

Ya done good on that price. $2.72 a pound. You can't buy dirt for that anymore.

That's funny!

And true.

Yeah, I had a local dealer down to 2899 on last years model, brand new, but I still needed the heat shield ... and tax ... I fell pretty lucky.

15 - 20 feet going up.

Stay with 6" pipe then?

and tell me ... is it possible to get longer side brackets to push the pipe away from the house about a foot or so so that I can
a)Get a straight shot up without elbows, and
b) So I don't have to cut through the overhang on the roof?
You will run into a few issues by extending the chimney out so it clears the eave. To start with, having a long horizontal run is less than optimal. I'd much rather have a set of 30 degree elbows than 30" of horizontal pipe.
You need someway to attach the Tee support, most are adjustable but only out 8"-10" or so.
You will find the same issue with your wall bands used for vertical bracing. They adjust but not enough to miss your eave. But these can be custom made pretty easily.
Excel makes a Tee support and wall bands that are adjustable enough to do what you want, but its pricy stuff! This is going to be your best option unless you custom make your supports.
http://www.icc-rsf.com/main.php?t=chem_produits&i=12&d=&l=en

Reactions: Owen1508
Status
Not open for further replies.