Used my new toy on the wood piles.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
My tools are old, though more sophisticated and expensive, I use my body. (It takes a lot of wine and patient aging to get this technique down). I knock on the ends of the splits in the stack. Wet wood tends to thud, dry wood will give a nice tone, like a marimba. Then I feel the wood by weight, look at it for good checking on the ends, split it, feel for the coolness of moisture by pressing it against my face. If it is dry, the split face will feel no cooler than the unsplit one. Then pour a glass of wine and start the fire and observe. If it's sizzling on the ends, recalibrate the tester. If it's burning well, reward the tester. :)

I must admit that I've used the cheek on my face a few times like BaGreen.....smelling the wood also helps........like with birch/hickory......oak is easy to tell.

WB

BeGreen said:
...I knock on the ends of the splits in the stack. Wet wood tends to thud, dry wood will give a nice tone, like a marimba.

In the spectacular subterranean limestone formation known as Luray Caverns in Virginia, there is a "Stalactite Organ". When a sizeable stalactite is struck just right, it rings (think bell here)...resonating throughout the cave with an ethereal tone of a very specific frequency which must be a function of its dimensions. Somebody, a long time ago, actually searched the cave to find stalactites that ring at just the right frequencies to constitute the range of an organ keyboard. Solenoid actuated strikers were installed, all wired to an organ keyboard, and the instrument can be played. It's really rather amazing. Never heard anything else quite like it. Perhaps you could do something similar with your woodpile. You'll be able to tell the wood is seasoned when it all comes into tune. Hey, enough wine and it might start sounding like a good idea. :coolsmile: Rick

I'd rather invite Susanna Kallur over to hurdle my stacks. When she go splat she can squeeze a split with her glutes.

If she wrings out any water, they're not ready

billb3 said:
I'd rather invite Susanna Kallur over to hurdle my stacks. When she go splat she can squeeze a split with her glutes.

If she wrings out any water, they're not ready

Had to google that one. Yow! And she has a twin sister.

I use the old clunk, sniff, feel, did it sizzle method. Low tech, but works.

I have a moisture meter but the real test consists of:

1. Is the house cold?
2. Is the split the next one on the pile?

WOODBUTCHER said:
BeGreen said:
My tools are old, though more sophisticated and expensive, I use my body. (It takes a lot of wine and patient aging to get this technique down). I knock on the ends of the splits in the stack. Wet wood tends to thud, dry wood will give a nice tone, like a marimba. Then I feel the wood by weight, look at it for good checking on the ends, split it, feel for the coolness of moisture by pressing it against my face. If it is dry, the split face will feel no cooler than the unsplit one. Then pour a glass of wine and start the fire and observe. If it's sizzling on the ends, recalibrate the tester. If it's burning well, reward the tester. :)

I must admit that I've used the cheek on my face a few times like BaGreen.....smelling the wood also helps........like with birch/hickory......oak is easy to tell.

WB

oh good...I'm not the only one who sniffs their wood! ;-)

got wood? said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
BeGreen said:

WB

I'm thinking therepy here. 8-/

BrotherBart said:
got wood? said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
BeGreen said:

WB

My last appointment went well ......my Doctor concluded that my ability to weed out seasoned wood was a problem and we are working on it. After our conversation, he ended up inviting me over because his recent delivery from his wood supplier said it was "seasoned for 6 months" 8-/

WOODBUTCHER said:
BrotherBart said:
got wood? said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
BeGreen said:

WB

My last appointment went well ......my Doctor concluded that my ability to weed out seasoned wood was a problem and we are working on it. After our conversation, he ended up inviting me over because his recent delivery from his wood supplier said it was "seasoned for 6 months" 8-/

LOL now this is funny!!!!!! I have to admit I have fallen into line looking at the wood outside and wondering if it will be ready. I need to get a meter. I am just not good enough to carress, and snif it to tell. ;-) I know that I have some for next year(way to wet to be ready this year) but I have some Walnut, Locust, and Elm for this year? I need a meter.

Got my el cheapo Centech from Harbor Freight yesterday. I tested the 2 "seasoned" cords I bought and stacked in early April , the birch, maple and ash are all about 20 ish %, the red oak, which is abut 25% of the wood is all at 35%. Sooooo.... No red oak for me this year, we'll see next year, but my experience in this area has been that it will still sizzle even after 2-3 years seasoning! It never seems to get all that dry. Thankfully I have about 1 2/3 cords of really dry 5 year stuff to start the season with, and Maybe I'll try mixing in some of the red oak with that, maybe on the overnights to help the burn time.

-Sheepdog

This thread makes me feel good that I put up a season's worth of red oak 2 springs ago. Then it makes me feel bad that I didn't put up anywhere near another season's worth this spring. Time to get cracking...

Status
Not open for further replies.