Used or New?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt Ski Bum

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2011
Dillon, Mt
Ok, so I've decided I want to buy a Stihl MS250, but I can't decide if it's worth it to shell out more money to buy a new one over trying to win one off e-bay or not. Any opinions? I think most new saws purchased from a dealer come with a warranty & such, while I'm pretty much on my own with a used one, & the 250 seems to be one of Stihl's more affordablely-priced saws, at $299. Most of the used ones on e-bay have been going for a little over $200.

So, what's everyone think? Is it worth it to shell out the extra money for a new one?

I like new........................................................Unless I feel like a prodject because you just never know. Most the time its all good, but I will not even let the dealership start mine. I order what I want and tell them I want the tanks clean. Just a silly little thing on my part.

Not looking at huge savings so go new and get the dealer support and warranty.

I was contemplating buying this same saw a few months ago. I had narrowed it down to the Echo and Stihl models under $300. I was patient and was a few days from making my final decision and I happened to be telling a co-worker about the pros and cons of both saws. Another co-worker heard the conversation and told me about a friend of his who had a tree service and was retiring and getting rid of a bunch of Stihls. At one point the guy had about 15 of the various model Stihls, but he had sold most of them. I gave him a call and ended up with a lightly used 029 for $275. It looks and runs like a new saw and I am very happy that I went used.

That being said, I think I would be reluctant to buy a used one from E-bay or somebody who I didn’t meet. I don’t think that the aggravation of getting a lemon would be worth the potential savings.

As far as paying extra for new, I'd say new would buy you piece of mind. I bought it used, but I really trust the place I bought it from and they give a 1 month warranty. It was a tool rental place that I use occasionally. I bypassed 2 slighty bigger used saws, one from TS store and one from Craigslist b/c I didn't really trust either one. If you can swing it the extra money will save ya sleep. If you can't afford it find a place or someone you trust.

If you need it now, buy new and get a couple gimme's in the deal to make the costs closer. If you don't need it right away, keep an eye on craigslist--they come up a lot.

S

I like to buy from a local dealer. Chances of using the warranty is not that great but if you have any problems even after the warranty you are likely to get the best service from someone you bought the saw from.

New . . . that way I know that the guy using the saw always used the correct oil to gas ratio (or even always made sure it was mixed gas in the saw), didn't have a tree land on top of the saw and rebuilt it and was not using the saw like a felling lever.

You could save a bit of money going used . . . but I like the peace of mind knowing that I am the one who will care for or abuse the saw . . . and so reap how well I keep the saw maintained, stored, etc.

I'm with my brothers, buy new, buy the best quality you can afford. You will get years of trouble free service. One thing i did was by a pro model. I don't remember all the difference's, but the decompression is real nice.

Tom

Another vote for new,,,peace of mind and warranty from a local dealer,,,cant go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.