Used Osburn 1800 or 2200 freestanding woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lionscale

Oct 7, 2014
Alberta
Hello,
I am looking at a used woodstove. It's an Osburn but I don't know how to identify if it's 1800 or 2200 and I don't know the age. It's black with the brushed nickel accents

The seller bought a 9 year old house and this stove was there. My questions are:
1) How do I identify the age?
2) How do I identify if 1800 or 2200?
3) What do I look for if buying second hand?

Hope someone is online today and able to provide some guidance. I have an open concept home and the main level is very hard to heat, as a result the basement is like a furnace in the winter so I'm hoping a woodstove will offset this.

Thank you

Bust out a tape measure and measure the firebox. From Osburn's website, here are the specs for each stove:

http://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/heaters/1800-wood-stove

http://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/heaters/2200sb-2200-wood-stove

I have the 2200 insert, which means the information tag is buried deep inside my masonry fireplace....I assume the stove you're looking at has a tag with manufacturing information on it.

Take a look at the general condition of the stove. It will be fairly obvious if the current owner has taken care of it or abused it. If it doesn't look like it's been "rode hard and put away wet," open it up and see if the firebrick is in good condition. Then look up and see if the burn tubes look okay. (If the current owner carelessly bashed wood into them during reloads, they may be damaged.) Then lastly, check the condition of the rope gasket on the door. My original one only lasted 3 years--it still worked okay, but where the cut ends met on the door it was starting to fray.

SBI (Osburn's parent company) has a great reputation, the stoves have great warranties, and parts are readily available.

I love my 2200. If you install the stove in your upstairs where you want heat, you should be very happy. (Properly seasoned wood is a must)

Good luck,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.