Used P38 Harman questions..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBurner

Mar 14, 2014
Canada
Hi,

Have a used Harman P38 Plus 2 Pot control - 7 years old from what I was told.. Contacted original owner with these questions, but no answer yet.. So, wanted to see if I can get some help here..

Had an old Whitfield Advantage II - I am so use to it, that I am trying to get use to how the Harman works..

On to the questions -

When starting, I can get it to turn on, light up and burn easily, but the distribution motor does not come on for a while.. 35 / 40 minutes... is this normal?

The distribution motor when pellet stove is on low, will turn off and then on again.. it does not seem to do this if the pellet feed is on 3.5 is this correct? It is a little dis-concerning, I am afraid that if I leave it alone and the dist motor does not come on, that it will be dangerous?

There is a smell when starting / shutting the unit down... There is a miniscule amount every once in a while when in operating mode ? I bought a new gasket for the tailpipe flange, the connector to the tailpipe I just put foil tape on it, taped the other seams and caulked on the venting..

It takes about 40 / 50 minutes to shut the unit down... Does this sound right? Whitfield max 15 minutes...

I am so use to my old pellet stove, it would startup all blowers right away and not stop until the unit was completely off..

If you could let me know your experiences with this unit it would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Well,being the 2 pot board,I'm sure it is way way older than 7 years.Does seem a bit long for the room blower to start,but depends on how cold stove is and if using outside air.The room blower starting and stopping on its own is normal.If stove gets too warm,room blower will automatically go to high,even at a low setting on the board,a safety feature.That long before combustion blower to shut down is normal,can be longer or shorter.All of the above is controlled by the exhaust probe.Your control board was discontinued,quite some time ago,and owners were recommended to install the upgrade kit. http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.co...Board-Pre-Serial-008190059-p/1-00-7738111.htm

Reactions: Lake Girl
OK - well the 7 year old item - Uhhh - my fault as I should have checked, but my assumption was my downfall ..

So what does the upgrade kit do? Does it come pre assembled? Looks like it is in parts...

Thanks,

It upgrades to the newer 3 knob board,and the functions would be the same in the sticky,about how your harman runs,it would run the same as ones being produced today.Board upgrades tend to run cleaner.You would have to cut,drill,to install board,and replace the stoves wiring harness.But some people still run the old board,like yours,waiting for board to die.

Good to know - I will also be checking the date of the unit... I am assuming from serial number, I can get from Harman..

With the smell (smoke smell) - any suggestions? I read somewhere that you turn the stove on high \ full throttle and get behind with flashlight to look at the exhaust to identify any leaks?

Anything else?

Thanks again..

Hi,

When starting, I can get it to turn on, light up and burn easily, but the distribution motor does not come on for a while.. 35 / 40 minutes... is this normal?

When I start mine I set the feed rate to Turbo until the distribution blower kicks on - usually within 15-20 minutes - then I turn the feed rate to 2.5-3.5. I can understand it taking longer if your feed rate is initially set lower.

The distribution motor when pellet stove is on low, will turn off and then on again.. it does not seem to do this if the pellet feed is on 3.5 is this correct? It is a little dis-concerning, I am afraid that if I leave it alone and the dist motor does not come on, that it will be dangerous?

I have never experienced the distribution blower shutting down once the stove is warmed. I wonder if your ESP needs cleaning?

There is a smell when starting / shutting the unit down... There is a miniscule amount every once in a while when in operating mode ? I bought a new gasket for the tailpipe flange, the connector to the tailpipe I just put foil tape on it, taped the other seams and caulked on the venting..

I might catch a very slight whiff when starting mine. It has never been an issue for me.

It takes about 40 / 50 minutes to shut the unit down... Does this sound right? Whitfield max 15 minutes...

Sounds right.

I am so use to my old pellet stove, it would startup all blowers right away and not stop until the unit was completely off..

If you could let me know your experiences with this unit it would be appreciated..

When I light mine I set the feed rate to turbo and blow-torch the pellets in the burn pot. I get a real good fire going and then leave the door cracked for a minute or so to really get the pellets going. After shutting the door there will usually be 2-3 pellet feeding cycles. By then the flame is really going and the distribution blower kicks in. I then set the feed rate to 2.5-3.5 and adjust the distribution blower speed. That is how mine works - others may vary.

Thanks,

Totally makes sense, I have my feed rate much lower than that - 2 maybe 3

Sounds good.. will try next time...

Thanks so much...

Best time to check for leaks is when stove Is in start up mode and burn chamber I'd filled with smoke. Then shut lights off and explore for leaks with flashlight

checking the date of the unit... I am assuming from serial number, I can get from Harman..
Should be a metal tag on back of the stove that will have a build date....

Might want to try the dollar bill test on the door/hopper/ash pan gaskets as appropriate.... Maybe the source of your smell is weak gaskets?

I have a P38 with a 2 knob board, on start up it takes a few minutes for the room blower to come on, but not 35 to 40 minutes, assuming a good flame.. I have never had the blower cycle off and on. when I have the feed set on low say 1 1/2, also set blower speed lower.. As for shut down, feed stops, blower motor off as unit cools, then ESP controls time exhaust blower runs from stove temp..I'd say this takes 30 minutes..Ive been shutting down my stove at night most of this winter so far it gets too warm..& restart In morning..

Thanks all for the help, I will be ordering a new ESP - will have old one as a spare.. Plus, can keep the old one for future issues, possible testing etc..

FYI - door gasket dollar bill test - bill goes through - so gasket will be needed also...

Cheers all....

Sounds like a plan. Keep us updated. Thanks

Hello,

So the stove is working great now... I ended up putting some RTV silicone on the flue pipe that connects to the unit tailpipe, I also adjusted the gasket that connects the tailpipe to the unit, plus I put a new door gasket on.. When I started the unit up, I could not smell any smoke other than when I opened the door to do anything... The distribution motor came on at approximately 20 minutes.. So I am gathering that it was due to a leak somewhere that it was taking so long to come on before..

Anyway, all good, it has been on since Saturday with no issues..

Again, thanks for the help...

Hope all is good now. Shut down time is close to mine, 40 minutes.. Thanks for update..

Hello,

So the stove is working great now... I ended up putting some RTV silicone on the flue pipe that connects to the unit tailpipe, I also adjusted the gasket that connects the tailpipe to the unit, plus I put a new door gasket on.. When I started the unit up, I could not smell any smoke other than when I opened the door to do anything... The distribution motor came on at approximately 20 minutes.. So I am gathering that it was due to a leak somewhere that it was taking so long to come on before..

Anyway, all good, it has been on since Saturday with no issues..

Again, thanks for the help...
Happy for you,enjoy the heat.I was always under the impression the 38 did not have the same airflow as other harmans,looks like you have figured it out,stay warm!!

Thanks for letting us know you have it figured out finally. Was a long process, but super happy you figured it out!

Awesome !

Status
Not open for further replies.