used pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have not been able to hook up with seller yet. think i mite be stuck in the vortex of c-list run around.hope not, time well tell !

Don't get discouraged, and don't give up - it took 5 weeks, more than a few emails, and fortunate circumstance of being home to get the Francesca here. Some folks are quick to respond, others are busy / take their time.. And you may not be at the top of the potential buyer list. Plan to move quickly (on their time) if you want a good/great deal.

+1 for Harman, all of our neighbors here love theirs .. For that square footage, I would think the Accentra (40k btu) or bigger btu, to help w/ the uninsulated basement ..

Best of luck w/ your purchase.

Reactions: bogieb and bags
Don't get discouraged, and don't give up - it took 5 weeks, more than a few emails, and fortunate circumstance of being home to get the Francesca here. Some folks are quick to respond, others are busy / take their time.. And you may not be at the top of the potential buyer list. Plan to move quickly (on their time) if you want a good/great deal.

+1 for Harman, all of our neighbors here love theirs .. For that square footage, I would think the Accentra (40k btu) or bigger btu, to help w/ the uninsulated basement ..

Best of luck w/ your purchase.

It took 3-4 weeks (and extremely poor timing for them trying to sell the stove and move to FL) for my baby Harman. If the listing is still on CL in a couple of days, let them know you are still interested - they may be getting so many low-ball offers that your email got lost in the shuffle. That was my experience; my original ad went out and every joker that dreamed of making a killing by getting my ST. Croix for $500-600, painting it and selling it for a gazillion dollars came out of the woodwork.

True but they are far and few these days. Side note. wish I purchased a stihl instead of a husky, great saw but you need a part now to bad so sad!!!!!! Ps I am still a store guy.

ok don't tear me up to bad. when install manuals are talking about 48in mins. for vent from a operating window , are they talking about the pipe or the termination of pipe.

Ok got cl guy committed to a look see at Harman tomarrow. If anyone knows of any shurefire deal breakers to look for let me know. Would hate to get burned because I did not do the reserch.

If it is hooked up have him run it. What Harman model is it? How old? Ask what if anything has been maintained or replaced.

Ideally it is hooked up and he will run the stove to show you everything works.

6yr old harmen accentra ran for two yrs stitting for 4yrs

Bring some pellets. Hard to get out of a test fire that way and get the stove up to temp that will run the room fan. May take up to 15 minutes but worth the effort. you can test all the motors before trying to fire and prime the feed system.

Test fire is a condition of me even showing up to look at stove. I'll watch YouTube to be shure how a start up looks like. I'll read manual after wife goes to bed,she thinks I am going pellet nutty. Ps thanks agan for all the info.

Check the manual for the procedure on how to do the test w/o firing up just in case.

ok don't tear me up to bad. when install manuals are talking about 48in mins. for vent from a operating window , are they talking about the pipe or the termination of pipe.

Termination of the pipe. The end of the pipe could stick 4 feet out from the wall, and technically you could put it right against a window (allowing for the required 1-4" of clearance around the pipe itself) - not that I would suggest that. Also, if you hook up an OAK (outside air kit), you can normally reduce the clearance needed if that is an issue. The manual should tell you what that clearance is also (probably somewhere between 12 & 24").

Thanks bogies. I found the install man. Instead of owner man on line.Of course it gave me the information I was looking for.

Well it's over I am the proud owner of a Harman accentra it's a little rusty certainly neglected but I ran as it should!! Best part it did not cost me a dime yet, I love the barter system. Thanks again for all the help. Ps need a good stove paint brand?

Stove Bright and Rustolium High temp have both been good for me. Prep is key. Need to be clean and oil free.

A boat I have not used in 10yrs, plus boat was given to me for free. So I think I did well? Boat was nice.

Reactions: bogieb
O aircraft tech's love acetone and mek

Well if boat was free and unused that long ;) Keep us posted on refurb progress, install and first fire ... we love pics! Don't be afraid to ask for help and spend some time on the Harman website. They have videos and manuals on-line that should be helpful. If you need parts, check here first with the Harman owners as they may be able to provide you with options of where to purchase. Otherwise, Harman specific parts are from the dealer:(

Will do.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Congrats on your new stove! Barter is great - regardless how much an item cost each person initially, they both go away happy.

ok now i have a vent pipe ? it looks like accentra can burn a 50/50 mix of corn & pellets, one is this true, and is it worth it anyway ? ps i will if so what vent pipe should use for best performance. 3in/4in . what is the fundamental difference between vent for corn or pellets. ps i will be installing a oak. .psps i read that some preheat the out side air before it enters the stove this makes no sense to gearhead in me what so ever, cool moist air more HP.

I will address the corn-multifuel. Corn can be had for cheaper if bought in bulk. I can buy it for about 3.45 a bu right now from elevator and a bushel is 56 lb standard. You will need to use the better grade of venting with it as it is more acidic when burnt. Corn has a higher ignition temp so is harder to light and is why the mixing of wood pellets and corn will work. To much corn in that stoves mix and the fire will become a chard mess and go out. Corn has a more rigid ash so will fill the ash bin faster. MI's wetter than normal weather may not produce a very good corn this year. A good vermin resistant container is needed as mice love the stuff.

Aka a better grade of ss or brands of vent + upsize to 4in?

Venting for corn etc is labeled as multifuel and yes is a bit heavier stainless. 4 inch may be needed if you are trying to vent a distance, with a larger number of elbows or longer run of horizontal. There is a table for calculating EVL in the install manual.
Calculating and figuring venting is not my strong suit. Burning and it's mechanics etc pretty good.

Me also . but if the tech. Author is good I'll no issues figuring it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.