used pellet stoves advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zogboy

Dec 19, 2005
CNY
Are 10 year old used pellet stoves worth $1000 or more in good working order?
I know these stoves sold for big buck new .
How do you value used stoves?

How much is a new coal stoker stove or pellet stove that burn coal?

Thanks John

My oppinion no. You would be better buying Cheap Charlie or an Englander than 10 years old. Parts replacement could be a problem, technology advancements point in favor of newer. $1000 is too much unless you know for certaint all vital parts were recently replaced and still available.

I agree with Elk. Nothing that somebody has building fires in for ten years is worth a thousand bucks. Well, a smelter maybe.

New stoves are available for a two three hundred more. Warranty, installation advice and years of service in the future are more than worth it.

You can find the stoves, now finding pellets this year is a whole nuther question.

I beg to differ. I sell many 10 year old pellet stoves for around 1000.00. I go through them make sure they function and also offer a 6 month to 1 year warranty too. I don't think that I would pay that much for something out of the paper, but from a dealer willing to stand behind it I don't think it's unreasonable.

Shane said:
I beg to differ. I sell many 10 year old pellet stoves for around 1000.00. I go through them make sure they function and also offer a 6 month to 1 year warranty too. I don't think that I would pay that much for something out of the paper, but from a dealer willing to stand behind it I don't think it's unreasonable.

But would you PAY a $1,000 for one? ;-P

Me either.

OK,
I get the point about 10 years of use and maybe a parts issue for pellet stoves.
Are stoker coal stoves a good choice for the long upstate NY winter?
Is there a link to prices of stoker stoves?
thanks

I wouldn't pay $1000 for one, but then again, I would't pay $1000 for any steel box to burn wood in either new or used. On the flip side, I don't think that many stoves (pellet stoves especially) burn hot enough to really damage or degrade the steel in any way. So in all those years of use, you would have wear & tear on any motors, gaskets, and electrical, but the basic steel of the stove would seem to be essentially like new.

Corey

John, if you are trying to save money, your best savings will be by waiting until at least Feb. By then, stores start trying to move inventory - if they have any. Even better, if you can wait until June or July. You will be surprised how much the price of new stoves goes down. For example, Cheap Charlies and basic Breckwell pellet stoves are now going for 14-1500 in some areas. They were $999 last summer.

Re: Used pellet stove for $1000. Well, yes, but with the same caveats of buying a used car. Think Honda or Toyota. One owner stove, light use, well maintained - yes, if it is a major brand with parts or a design that is largely unchanged. Almost all the parts on our Quadrafire can be purchased from Graingers, if not from a Quadrafire dealer (at 100% markup). So if you can find a quality stove that has low usage and is in good condition, maybe it is a good buy. Especially if you are prepared and able to be your own mechanic.

Stoker coal stoves are popular in areas where anthracite coal is available at a reasonable price. They put out a lot of heat for the dollar. You'll want to buy something that is safe and well made. Coal stoves get very hot. I'll leave it to the coalmeisters to provide you with info and links to the best stoves.

BeGreen
Thanks for the advise, i can get rice coal for around 160 a ton at the scale or 220 a ton by the bag.
So coal is what I believe I will do. My current pellet stove burns coal, corn, wood pellets and biomass whatever that is.

I am looking for for more heat for the back half of my home.

I disagree also, I dont think a 10 year old stove is worth 1000. I just bought my 1st pellet stove and it is 10 years old and the company is out of business and I can still find parts for it.I would agree thou that the newer model are better probably more output and more effiecent

I paid 400 for mine and everything works in fact it is runnin now and I just scored a ton of pellets

Of course I am by no means an expert on pellet stoves,and I am sure it holds it value longer than other things but 10 years old is still 10 years old.

Good luck

Again, I said if it is a major brand with parts that are largely unchanged.

Michael6268 said:
What brand "pellet stove" do you have that burns coal? I dont think I have ever seen one...

It is a pelletmaster, the company is out od business now.
It feeds from the bottom and as new coal is added the burnt ash is pushed out
I do have to keep the ash pan cleaned twice a day and vac the flue and every week oe so to keep it working right.

zogboy said:
Michael6268 said:
What brand "pellet stove" do you have that burns coal? I dont think I have ever seen one...

It is a pelletmaster, the company is out od business now.
It feeds from the bottom and as new coal is added the burnt ash is pushed out
I do have to keep the ash pan cleaned twice a day and vac the flue and every week oe so to keep it working right.

If you have your Pellet master stove connected with proper draft and OK pellets and everything is working good like gaskets and blowers you shuld be able to go 16-20 bags of pellets before you need to shut off the stove and clean it. Most inportant CHIP out the burn pot.

No way and that goes double for an out of production stove. Maby $500 if you can get parts which will be a hassle for you at best. One thing in that favor is that most stoves use common motors and fans but I couldn't tell you about that one.
You can get an Englander at Lowes or True value for $1200 or so,perhaps $1500. You can get parts for them and they are still in production with the same basic models for many years. You would be far better served with one of those as I know a few people who have them and they serve as well or better than the hi end stuff in spite of their low price. I am truly impressed. All these stoves have a few motors in them that do burn out regularly though are not really expensive or hard to do. Although it sucks waiting sometimes you are better than jumping in. Check out the Yahoo pelletstove group and Iburncorn.com ( they have a pellet section too). Also be aware that corn is half the price of pellets and more available, especially this year. Don't jump the gun and live with a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.