Used Prius (Not Plug-In)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Can you get one for a good price? How long do their batteries last, do you need to replace, etc, etc.

I'm A prius , gen 2 2006 owner. The current 2015 models are essentially the same car. Mine now has 180K. IMO, amazing car. Around 50 mpg. The suspension is as tight as it was when it was new. Haven't done much to it. No brakes, oiginal tires went 75k. It has nfinite gear ration transmission. No shifts. Done with sun gears. I've heard there is no wearing parts in it. Only thing I've done, this summer was the blower fan. $40 on amazon and a half an hour for me to put it in. And the normal car 12volt battery a few years ago.

Check on prius chat about batteries. I don't here any issues with them. They are individually cells under the rear seat. They are very popular, so you should be able to find one with low mileage. I have no idea what they sell for. Just last week I stopped in Toyota to see about replacing mine. They now make 3 versions. Just different body styles with the same drive train.

Reactions: velvetfoot
They are very low maintenance cars. That's why local cabbies love them. Price will depend on the year, mileage, condition etc, but they are reasonable. Go for a low mileage one owner if you can.

If you aren't set on a Prius, used Chevy Volts are currently going for good deals. A lot of them were used for highway use so the battery packs have minimal use.

+1 to the Volt. We had a 2006 Prius prior to getting the 2013 Volt. The Volt is a definite step up in ride, handling and fun factor.

Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in a Prius generally have a shorter life span then Lithium batteries in a Volt. The earlier Honda Insights had ongoing issues with NIMH batteries and the majority that are still running have had their battery packs rebuilt by swapping good cells for bad cells by cannibalizing other battery packs. I haven't heard similar issues with Priuses but Leafs also have it.

The Prius batteries last a long time. Prius cabs out here are numerous and many are in the 100-200K mileage range with batteries still active. Toyota is very conservative about their battery design.

I'd be happy if a deteriorating Prius drive battery wouldn't knock out driving the car and getting it inspected.

I'd be happy if a deteriorating Prius drive battery wouldn't knock out driving the car and getting it inspected.

Just a guess, but I don't think the computers would let the car run with out the PM motor drive working. My brother had his Highlander drive die. The car couldn't be moved.

In NYC just about every yellow cab is a Prius. I think the city mandates all the new ones be practically zero emission.

I saw one yesterday with a big hitch on it.....I just about peed myself;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.