Used Propane Tank Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJP Electric

Jul 3, 2008
N. New Hampshire
I was quoted $1.00 a pound from my local propane company, they say that is what is worth for scrap. $620.00 for a 325 gallon tank. That is outrageous, I was hoping to spend a couple hundred bucks for taking one off there hands. The search continues.

Rob

We are seeing higher prices here too. I think it was about $870 for a 500 gal. But here is the kicker. The one vendor I found that is willing to see used doesn't have the 500 in stock. They said they will call when they get one. I really don't want to have to buy two smaller ones...

Rob,

Scrap steel is currently fetching $10.00 per hundred around here. I have never seen it above $14.00 per hundred. At $10.00 per hundred that 325 gallon tank your looking at would have to weigh more than three tons to be worth $620.00 for scrap. In other words scrap steel is only worth 10 cents per pound not a dollar per pound. If your tank weighs 620 pounds, which would be more realistic, it would be worth about $62.00 for scrap.

Ron

I paid $800, delivered price, for a 1000 gal last March.

I paid $400.00 delivered for my 1500 gallon tank. It's a boiler condesate tank from an old paper mill. I bought mine from the local scrapy. Try calling around to the local scrap metal haulers. They would rather sell you a tank whole because they usally have to cut them up in peices before the scrap metal yards will take them.

Attachments

• Barnes Family Picture 002.jpg
    Barnes Family Picture 002.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,055
I paid $200 delivered for 1000 gallon tank last month. It doesn't have a tag is why it was taken out of service. That won't matter much for only 30# pressure max.

I paid around $250 for my 500 gallon tank. He dealt with scrap steel and said he was giving it to me for scrap prices. Who knows...... It weighed a little over a thousand pounds when I went over the scale. I know it was heavy when I was moving it. Good Luck

Seyiwmz

Status
Not open for further replies.