Used Rancher 55.. should i go for it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nojo

Dec 22, 2009
Western/cent Mass
I dont currently have a saw, but theres a guy by me selling a used rancher 55 for about 200.
He says its only a couple years old, and has been used on about 5 cord of firewood.

110019950-3n63kc3l85Vd5Ub5S99cr735109e337521fc3.jpg-JPEG-Image-300x145-pixels-Mozilla-Firefox.jpg

What do you think, should I go for it? Im currently borrowing a saw.

Hi -

It's a capable enough saw. I gave $300 for a good used makita/dolmar 6300 with a couple chains from Home Depot and i'm happy. The 55 is a bit heavy for the power. W ould not pay any more than that. If you're borrowing, you might borrow this one and cut with it before making up your mind.

ATB,
Mike

Sounds like a good decision. Surely doesn't look over worked!
Before you buy it ask him to do a cold start. Tell him you want it 24 hours cold.

I would think it is more than a few years old. Not sure when the 55 was discontinued but am quite sure it was longer ago than that. At that price, I would go to Home Depot rental and pick up a used Makita 6401. Much newer and more power.

But, you could offer him $150 and see if he'll sell.

Nojo,

The Rancher 55 is a nice little saw. It will handle decent size harwood with a good sharp chain. I have a 61 that is 22 years old. Starts everytime on the 3-4 pull. I just bought a 346 XP as my primary saw only because I broke the top cover whihc now has a quarter size hole on the back corner so I constantley have to clean the air filter. Seems I was at Lowes lately and they hadd the 455 for $289, a little bigger saw plus you get the warranty.

If money is tight I would go for the 55.

Good Luck

That saw is very similar in appearance to my 51 and probably of about the same vintage. That would make it more along the lines of 10 to 15 years old. If it starts well and doesn't bog down in a cut with a good sharp chain, I don't see anything obvious that would turn me against it. The price would be a little high for down here but I don't know about MA. Since chain is obviously loose, you might want to take a quick look at the drive sprocket and see if it has apparent wear or might need replacing soon.

I paid $60 for my rancher 55 last fall. It's a 2000 model in great shape. I did have to clean it and put on a new chain and oil tank "O" ring.
Look for sticker on body for year of manufacture.

nojo said:
I dont currently have a saw, but theres a guy by me selling a used rancher 55 for about 200.
He says its only a couple years old, and has been used on about 5 cord of firewood.

110019950-3n63kc3l85Vd5Ub5S99cr735109e337521fc3.jpg-JPEG-Image-300x145-pixels-Mozilla-Firefox.jpg

Where the hell is the chain brake?
I don't see it.

I'm just guessing but I'm pretty sure it is that black thing sticking up in front of the handle. ;-)

Missed the saw. Had an appointment to pick it up, but he sold it before then.

A guy an hour and a half away has a dolmar 510 with low hours he will sell for $200. Sounds like a better saw.

-josh

The 55 Ranchers are great saws and go pretty quick on eBay. That one looked lightly used too. I bought mine new a about 3 years ago and have ran it hard. It still cranks with ease. It's not the most powerful saw, but it gets the job done. It's a shame they quit making them. I like them over the 455 Rancher.

Not too sure.. why?

Monkey Wrench said:
nojo said:

Where the hell is the chain brake?
I don't see it.

Wendell's got it. The black handle thing in FRONT (to the left) of the actual front handle.

nojo said:

My rancher 455 is 3 years old, and I think it replaced the 55. Not sure when the 55 was discontinued.
Heavy saw for the power, but it does a nice job with a NON safety chain that's tightened correctly. That thing looks like it's ready for takeoff!

I had experience with quite a few Huskies. The 55 was a good saw, mainly a limb saw. The 455 sucks and I mean sucks. For power weight ratio you can not beat the Stihl 026 or the 260 which is Stihl's limb saw.

I asked the age of the 510 because I believe that starting this past summer tht 510 and the 460 began being manufactured in a chinese facility. Might now mean it's bad but I don't see myself paying top dollar for a Chicom saw. If it's older, made in Germany then It should be plenty of saw and provide excellent service for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.