Used saws seem like a waste...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 064 I got last year (thread) was a heck of a saw when I got it put back together, but it was just overkill for my purposes; I rarely need or care to process the sort of rounds that thing was made for. Now I have an MS460, and even that is more than enough for me.

Reactions: D8Chumley
The 064 I got last year (thread) was a heck of a saw when I got it put back together, but it was just overkill for my purposes; I rarely need or care to process the sort of rounds that thing was made for. Now I have an MS460, and even that is more than enough for me.

I like your little crib.

That thing is a beast, like a boat motor with a chain and bar on it!
Yes, yes it is.........second best wood processing tool I ever purchased.

You think it is great with that big bar, put a 24" on it and see how you like it ::-)

I had an 028, then a MS290 for a long time. I said "you just don't need a saw that big".

Now, anything over 12" diameter, it is my go to saw. Just amazing.

Before I ran that 066 that day the biggest saw I ever ran was my 290. I'm not going to lie that thing scared me a little bit when I layed into the throttle haha!

There is nothing wrong with used saws. However the odds of finding that diamond in the rough on CL are slim. Rather buying a pro line saw that has been gone through by a reputable saw mechanic will get you a good saw at a fair price.

Here is a "diamond in the rough" I bought on CL 2 weeks ago. Had the original chain on it. In the 2nd pic you may be able to see the price stickers on the bar.

29lemh0.jpg

4h33h2.jpg

4lm143.jpg

kf37e1.jpg

I've posted this before. This is a MS 290 that I used for six years before I sold it on eBay for only $20 less than a new one would have cost the buyer. I got what I paid for it six years before. I guess people get caught up in the excitement of bidding online and don't check to see how much the saw would be new. Here's a screenshot of the auction when it ended.image.jpg

Did you get a deal on the Dolmer?

I don't know if it was a real deal. I gave him $450 for it, list is $900.

Even though Dolmars in this class are pro line and very good saws, they don't have the resale value of Husky XP's or Stihl. It is way stronger than my 372XPG. According to the charts, it should be slightly stronger than a 460 Stihl.

Even though Dolmars in this class are pro line and very good saws, they don't have the resale value of Husky XP's or Stihl. It is way stronger than my 372XPG. According to the charts, it should be slightly stronger than a 460 Stihl.
Yeah that seems pretty good especially if it has more power than a 372XP and XPG with heated handle. I've never run or even been around a Dolmer before.

Yeah that seems pretty good especially if it has more power than a 372XP and XPG with heated handle. I've never run or even been around a Dolmer before.

I had a Makita 6401 and got it just before the cat mufflers came out. It had amazing torque for the size, (64cc) but was big and heavy for this class. The 7900 shares the exact same chassis, so what was big/heavy for 64cc is amazingly light and compact for a 79cc saw.

Another thing is the Dolmar pulls air from the top of saw through a vent and this keeps the air filter much cleaner. I don't see the need for the huge filter kits people install which greatly increases the bulk of the saw.

The other nice thing about the Dolmar 64xx saw is that if the piston/cylinder go bad, you can purchase a replacement 80cc piston and jug for ~$100 and upgrade the saw to an 80cc class saw. Oh yeah, the same thing can be done with the used Makita saws that the HD rental Dept. sells for about $275 (they are Dolmar saws dressed as Makita). So effectively you could get an 80cc class saw for less than $400 with a new piston and jug.

Yup, used saws seem like a waste to me too! Or maybe not!

Reactions: smokedragon
I got my 390Xp for $590 with a new piston and jug from a guy that rebuilds factory returned saws that have been straight gassed. If you look in the U.P. Craigslist you'll likely see his ad. He used a Husqvarna jug and piston too.
I just got the saw back from Tree Monkey on the Arborist Site after having it ported and the carb switched to a Tillison. I'm looking forward to trying it when it dries out some up here! It cost $350 to get the mods done but I figured I saved that in propane this winter so it made it ok for me... :)

I bought a used MS441C for $225, which was pretty rough looking. Cracked covers, busted chain brake handle and such, caked on resin, worn bar and chain. Owner wanted $300. Piston was perfect, never slowed down while I went through 24" oak. Having it rebuilt now, but I don't care about the surface dings, it runs. Got a new 25" b/c for it and can't wait to get it in some wood. Cost me about $120 in parts (fuel lines, filters, chain catcher, etc.), another $100 for the b/c. Well worth the trouble for my modest means. Got some big softwood to fall this summer.

Paid $250 for the Makita 5105 I bought off a guy, 2 years old. Got $300 for it two months and two cord later. Should have bought his 7900, too, but it was tight. Got a MS250 with 3 chains and a case for $85 last year, gas can, gallon of chain oil, two screnches misc stuff. Runs like a top. Retiree going south for the ever. Advertised as an 024,which is what I really wanted, but still worth the drive.

See decent saws all the time at local pawn shops. Don't be afraid to negotiate. I didn't even ask and a pawnshop guy dropped $100 on a clean Husky 181. Probably should have bought it for $125, didn't have the scratch. But a nice saw. They had no idea.

If money were no object, CL and fleaBay would have no reason to exist. I don't bother much with the latter, because there's a lot of crap on there these days. CL and garage sales, with a large dose of patience will see you right.

Never owned a Dolmar, but for $450 I would buy a saw that is comparable to a Stihl 460 and looked that new. Sounds like a great deal.

Never owned a Dolmar, but for $450 I would buy a saw that is comparable to a Stihl 460 and looked that new. Sounds like a great deal.

Those Dolmar 7900 like Firewood Bandit has are one kick but saw. I do not have one myself but know of other firewood cutters who do and they have great things to say about them. If I find one at a good price then I will buy it.

Not a waste for me, I got all my saws used, in fact I never had a a new saw.
The first one was the Remington, came with the house.
Picked up the Husky 36 and 350 for $40 and $50, both non runners, a few bucks and some work and they now run great.
Got the Homelite, Poulan and the electric McCulloch from a guy for $20, only needed some minor work to get running.
Picture 017.jpg

Reactions: Mag Craft
Not a waste for me, I got all my saws used, in fact I never had a a new saw.
The first one was the Remington, came with the house.
Picked up the Husky 36 and 350 for $40 and $50, both non runners, a few bucks and some work and they now run great.
Got the Homelite, Poulan and the electric McCulloch from a guy for $20, only needed some minor work to get running.
View attachment 132595
You got enough saws there that you could learn how to juggle them like I've seen on some dumb show before! Lol ;)

I thought the same way about overpriced used splitters. It seemed the ones that were listed on CL in the $300-$400 range were old home made basket cases and the newer ones were priced at what I got my new Forest King 22 ton splitter for at Menards, after in store credit which I used right away for a new appliance that I needed. (A dishwasher, oh so nice! I hate hand washing my dishes! Lol)

It seemed the ones that were listed on CL in the $300-$400 range were old home made basket cases and the newer ones were priced at what I got my new Forest King 22 ton splitter for at Menards...

Yeah, most of what you see on Craigslist is overpriced, especially ads than have been up longer for a day or two.. The stuff that is priced well sells quickly and the ads get taken down, leaving all the overpriced stuff to linger on endlessly. Some sellers just can't reconcile themselves to reality. Occasionally you can talk some sense into a seller if you're sufficiently patient and diplomatic, but I've had better luck setting up automated alerts and getting there first when good deals appear.

Reactions: WiscWoody
joful,

Don't they call it CAD? I can't remember it's meaning but my guess is compulsive arborist disorder?

Last edited:
OT: With the exception of yesterday as far as yard sales. We were driving to the local seed supplier and there sat a Apple Mac tower, the big silver aluminum one, on a table at a yard sale, well that had to be checked out. It was a G5 Dual Processor, a later model G5, but we couldn't turn it down for $40. Clean as whistle and had a power cord, KB and Mouse. Hooked up a flat panel monitor up to it and away she went, sounds like a wind tunnel though with it's big dual fans.

OT: under same circumstances, I bought my G4 Cube for $20.

joful,

Don't they call it CAD? I can't remember it's meaning but my guess is compulsive arborist disorder?

Chainsaw acquisition disorder.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Status
Not open for further replies.