Used splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I have an opportunity to pick up a used splitter. It's a 6 yr old Northern Tool 20T with a 5.5 hp Honda motor Horiz/Vert. operation. In good physical condition and with less than 100 hrs on the motor according to the owner. Any caveats on this brand/model? Anything in particular I should be looking into? The asking price is $695 which is more than the DR electric 6T I had been considering. Does anyone know what this was selling for 6 yrs ago?

Done deal. I went and looked at it. Always garaged, it looked almost new. Started first pull. It's all-American made, even the Honda motor and he sold it for $600.

No more rentals, I'm set. Good thing, we have a doug fir and a hemlock that are coming down soon.

sounds like a good deal to me BG, I was going to say, offer him 600, , if it's for sale he don't need it, and it's just in his way chances are. good job! I did get a DR 5 ton, like it ! although a nice peice of elm did give it a work out. but did manage to it all done ! and the DR with splitting tray, and table is a really nice unit !

This thing is built stout. I'm impressed. I looked at some of the newest inexpensive models and they seem pretty light duty in comparison. I know it's not industrial, but it will handle anything we have growing out here. As long as I take care of it, it should hold its value. In the mean time I no longer have to do splitting marathons on the rental clock. A few hours now and then throughout spring is a much nicer plan.

Begreen,

I'd say you did well getting a low mileage Northern for $600. I would much prefer that to the DR for the same bucks. Since you are mostly splitting for yourself I assume, you will likely get many years of service from it. Good find.

BG, That's exactly why I bought mine a few years ago. I've never looked back with any regret. Those weekend marathons are a KILLER!!!

Good deal! Those units will give you years of good service. Keep the fluid clean, motor oil fresh, and the cylinder retracted when not in use, and you should be a happy splitter owner for a long time to come. I would much rather have a gas splitter and be over-splittered than to have a compact electric that is useless on the big stuff. Grab yourself a nice pair of earmuffs with the radio in 'em, and you'll be a superhappy splitter operator!

And you may THINK you'll only be splitting for yourself...ha! Not once family and friends know you have a splitter...

Yep, I'm a happy camper. I've been passing up on some free wood that now will be making it into my stacks. I love the thought of being able to take the splitter to the site and filling up the truck with the split wood. Can't do that with an electric splitter unless I lugged the generator along.

I hear you on the earmuffs. I have had them for many years. Actually made my own before they were easily available. About 20 yrs ago I helped build a couple boat where one had to wear ear protectors all day. It got boring so I added a couple transducers to them and plugged them into a portable FM radio. Worked pretty good. But now I have the Peltor muffs and use them for mowing, splitting, etc. I even wore them while the renovation was going on in the house.

BeGreen
I am curious on how you (and othe Pac N/W people) stow their splits.

Myself, I have 2 primitive "sheds" with open sides and backs, but covered roofs to keepmost of the rain out, just curious what others in our area do

During spring/summer just outside in the sun and wind. I use the bark to make roof tiles for the top of the stacks or if it is barkless, I use a tarp on top. Then in fall I move it under cover in a lean-to shed attached to the garage.

I'm sure you'll love the splitter. I just picked up a 22ton Speeco from TSC today. I had a coupon for 10% off their normal $999.00. I returned my two week old, 5 ton Task Force to Lowes after realizing it only does well on the perfect rounds(no knots). The gas splitter is a huge improvement!

Status
Not open for further replies.