1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Used Stihl Purchasing Assistance

Post in 'The Gear' started by num1hitter, May 31, 2013.

1. num1hitter

num1hitter Member

Loc:
    Reading, PA
    I am looking to purchase a used midsize chainsaw (50-70 cc). Looking mainly at Stihl, only because I am more familiar with them. A local shop has the following for sale.

036 Pro - $300
    ms290 - $225

Both claim to be "like new". They look and run very good. My questions for you are. Do you think these prices might be a little high for used? I would jump on the 036 if it was a ms361, am I wrong for being hesitant just because it is an older model? Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    The 036 all the way - especially if in 'like new' condition. Check it our real well - compression test, look at the piston for scoring, make sure chain brake and oiler work well, etc. Price is about right for the 036 - if I were buying for personal use and not to resell the saw, $300 isn't bad - again, if it's in the condition you describe.
  3. num1hitter

num1hitter Member

Loc:
    Reading, PA
    I will definitely check it out good and see if i can do a compression test.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Of those two saws, the 036 is hands down the better bargain, not too mention the superior saw. A $75 diff would not even be a consideration to step down to the 290.

There is a couple on da bay right now, if you wanted to check for comparison.