Used Stihl Purchasing Assistance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
I am looking to purchase a used midsize chainsaw (50-70 cc). Looking mainly at Stihl, only because I am more familiar with them. A local shop has the following for sale.

036 Pro - $300
ms290 - $225

Both claim to be "like new". They look and run very good. My questions for you are. Do you think these prices might be a little high for used? I would jump on the 036 if it was a ms361, am I wrong for being hesitant just because it is an older model? Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.

The 036 all the way - especially if in 'like new' condition. Check it our real well - compression test, look at the piston for scoring, make sure chain brake and oiler work well, etc. Price is about right for the 036 - if I were buying for personal use and not to resell the saw, $300 isn't bad - again, if it's in the condition you describe.

I will definitely check it out good and see if i can do a compression test.

Of those two saws, the 036 is hands down the better bargain, not too mention the superior saw. A $75 diff would not even be a consideration to step down to the 290.

There is a couple on da bay right now, if you wanted to check for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.