Used Stove or New?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmittjames

Oct 29, 2010
central ct
Howdy - We are still new to the pellet business, but really loving it. We got a Greenfire (Enviro) insert last fall and LOVED it. We are thinking of adding a free-standing unit to a porch/three season room on the other side of the house. Right now, its an un-insulated 3-season room, but we'd like to finish it off. Its got a nice brick floor, so we were thinking that maybe we could start by adding a free standing stove. The room is about 25'x20'. There are crappy sliding windows now, but its going to be a slow process. It opens onto our kitchen which is largely unheated too, both of these rooms are as far from the other stove as they can get. We would only run the stove in that room during the day, when we are using that space, so I was wondering if we could get away with a used stove. We paid $3300 installed for the insert, and I don't know that we are able to put that much in to this. I am pretty handy, but not well versed in stoves yet. SO, i THOUGHT maybe somebody out there might have an opinion... anybody? You guys have opinions on this kind of stuff right? :) What should i be looking for?

I like saving money and not spending it when you don't have to. If I could find a good used stove for a very good price (close to a steal), I would go that route. New or used, you still need an install job.

Tom C.

If it's anything like my 3 season sunroom, you're gonna have a hard time finding a spot to vent a stove that's far enough away from any of those windows.

hossthehermit said:
If it's anything like my 3 season sunroom, you're gonna have a hard time finding a spot to vent a stove that's far enough away from any of those windows.

hmm. it's 2 sides windows and 2 sides wood walls. how far from a window does it need to be? these are the things i can't think of on my own!

emmittjames said:
hossthehermit said:

hmm. it's 2 sides windows and 2 sides wood walls. how far from a window does it need to be? these are the things i can't think of on my own!

Off the top of my head I'm thinking 48", someone will be along to tell me i'm wrong soon, I'm sure. I thought about putting one in mine, but I have windows on 3 sides, and the other side is in the house.

hossthehermit said:
emmittjames said:
hossthehermit said:

Off the top of my head I'm thinking 48", someone will be along to tell me i'm wrong soon, I'm sure. I thought about putting one in mine, but I have windows on 3 sides, and the other side is in the house.

Sounds about right hoss! :)

There were some that said closer with use of an OAK.

Hello

Well Pellet stoves are like cars and as soon as you drive them out of the show room they lose value. So if you want a bargain then a used stove is a good way to go. From my experience there are few things to keep in mind.

1. Quality - The higher end stoves on the used market cost more money but may last alot longer and really be worth a few extra dollars!

2. - Be aware of the environment the stove came from. If it was used or stored in a highly corrosive, damp moldy area then alot of rust can prematurely wear the stove out.
Some rust may be fine and can be touched up with stove paint. That is OK.
Too much rust and the stove may be junk.

3. Age is very important. (Many stoves have the Month and year made marked right on them!)
1 - 5 years old is a good bargain unless you want to go real inexpensive.
Ask if it has an ignitor, the newer (5 years or so) stoves have it.

Just my 2cents.

BTW. I do have a nice used stove for sale. >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80449/

I have seen some nice deals out there on used. My first stove was a 5 year old used. A little TLC and I got almost 8 seasons out of it. Money I saved on both heat and unit cost paid for my next stove.

j-takeman said:
hossthehermit said:
emmittjames said:
hossthehermit said:

Ok, so another question: on the other side of my wood wall is my garage. does that factor in too? the other wall in question would be the one that backs my freezing cold kitchen, and someday i would like to open that wall. So, 48" in from the windows along the garage wall? venting straight up and through the roof?

emmittjames said:
j-takeman said:
hossthehermit said:
emmittjames said:
hossthehermit said:

Ok, so another question: on the other side of my wood wall is my garage. does that factor in too? the other wall in question would be the one that backs my freezing cold kitchen, and someday i would like to open that wall. So, 48" in from the windows along the garage wall? venting straight up and through the roof?

If you're going up through the roof, you should be fine, I was just thinking out through the wall. Vent termination is what's critical, can't TERMINATE within 48"

My used ($1100.00) St. Croix has only needed one ignitor (last year) and a new burn pot (this year) since we bought it for the '06/'07 heating season. I would say buying a used stove is like buying a used car... just stay away from brand you can't get parts and service on...

An Englander would be a good stove and you can buy them for a really good price on ebay from the seller who sells the returns/scratch/dent models from the factory. imacman has one... others here do too.

My stove is now 11 seasons old... still working fine.

I went with a 1992 Quadrafire 1000 from a co-worker. Got it for $200, if it lasts two seasons it paid for itself!!

One other option that might be available is checking with Englander. I think they at one time had some refurbished stoves or demo units that were basically a new stove at incredible prices. Other than that if you have a local swap n shop on the home town radio you can catch a deal or craigslist.

krooser said:
My used ($1100.00) St. Croix has only needed one ignitor (last year) and a new burn pot (this year) since we bought it for the '06/'07 heating season. I would say buying a used stove is like buying a used car... just stay away from brand you can't get parts and service on...

An Englander would be a good stove and you can buy them for a really good price on ebay from the seller who sells the returns/scratch/dent models from the factory. imacman has one... others here do too.

My stove is now 11 seasons old... still working fine.

This is what we did, bought a refurbished unit on ebay. It has the same warranties as a new unit. We've only burned it twice so far, but so far we love it!!! It was about $700 less than new and with free shipping. The used ones were asking almost that much and with no warranty it was a no brainer decision for us.

I bought mine used and it's been great so far. I did watch it run a few times before I bought it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.