Used stove - signs of metal fatigue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aaknitt

Mar 13, 2021
WI
I've seen several sources online that say to be wary of signs of metal fatigue when inspecting a used stove. This is described as "rust and a whitish-greyish color that forms on the upper part of the stove."

Does anyone have pictures of what this looks like? I'm going to look at a VC Resolute 1 tomorrow and the picture from the posting (see below) seems to show some lighter areas at the top of the stove and at the bottom of the front door. If I hadn't read online about the "whitish-greyish" color I don't think this would have caused me any concern without knowing any better, so not sure if it's a sign of a problem or not.

Anything else I should be wary of with a stove this old? These seem to have a good reputation and have a secondary combustion system even though it's pre-EPA. Looking to use it in a 3-season/sunroom that I'll be using as a home office next winter.

1615689336404.png

It’s not metal fatigue but just black paint that has been overheated turns white. The stove doesn’t have to glow red to make the paint chalk up but just get hotter than may be advised. With cheaper stove paint (high temp bbqpaint) this chalk temp can be pretty low.

Do not worry about it. Easily repainted by you after the sale or by a smart seller before the sale. Also do not fear white or light rust inside the box.

Do fear warped, corroded, cracked, broken, or missing parts. By corrosion I mean rotten metal.

I wouldn’t buy an old pre epa stove and especially not a VC product based on their current reputation. I know some of their antiques were dependable stoves for the time but no thanks.

Reactions: bholler
It’s not metal fatigue but just black paint that has been overheated turns white. The stove doesn’t have to glow red to make the paint chalk up but just get hotter than may be advised. With cheaper stove paint (high temp bbqpaint) this chalk temp can be pretty low.

Do not worry about it. Easily repainted by you after the sale or by a smart seller before the sale. Also do not fear white or light rust inside the box.

Do fear warped, corroded, cracked, broken, or missing parts. By corrosion I mean rotten metal.

That's what I was thinking too, thanks for the confirmation!

Metal fatigue in cast iron can be heard by changing sounds (less clear tingling) when using a heavy nail (or lag bolt) or small hammer to knock in different places. Fatigue results in local cracks between the metal grains, and the sound will be duller. But, near edges, stove cement, gaskets, it'll also be a bit less clear...

It's hard to visually detect unless macroscopic cracks are present - but then it's clear to everyone. And fatigue by then has progressed too far already.

Dude what's UP with that flue collar connexion? Is it the actual flue collar or something else?
Good eye! It's a custom flue collar a previous owner had made out of stainless steel to allow the pipe to exit at a specific angle they needed.

I did end up buying the stove and the original collar has long been lost, so fabricating a new flue collar that exits vertically is on my to-do list for the summer. Not exactly sure how I'm going to tackle that yet...hoping to find some scrap 6" pipe to make life easier, we'll see.