Used stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaroot86

Dec 30, 2013
White Hall, Maryland
Found these two stoves on Craig's. Any reviews or info on either one? The larger one I would consider putting in my basement, and the smaller ones for my garage.

Thanks

Woodland
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4303357556.html

Smaller ones
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/hsh/4240779190.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/4311867300.html

Restoring isn't an issue. I just cleaned up and restored a Scandiawanese 308 which I basically got for free. I know there's nicer stoves, but I'm not looking to spend a fortune. It would be for supplement heat, as I have a very efficient new heat pump installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 2,063
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 942
Well the last one just got sold. Please disregard the last link

Craiglist links are ephemeral. Personally I wouldn't be interested in either stove.

MD guy here. Really not much on the used stove front on the local craigslist. Just a bunch of junk mostly for way too much $$$. I sold my herthstone there, it was a rare exception. There is a guy in se pa that is selling reconditioned stoves. Take a look.

Yeah I usually buy everything used. Makes much more sense to me. Considering it being a stove, which could catch your house on fire, I don't want anything that cuts corners to save a buck. However, spending 7-800 for a nice new stove, plus a couple hundred on proper installation materials, a wood splitter, maintenance on my saws, plus my time to install it + source out/cut/split/stack wood every year isn't economically feasible. It would cost me over a year or two to recoup an initial investment of that much money. If anyone in Maryland is selling an older model I'd be happy to come take a look. Shoot straight, can you suggest some lower end brands and models that are cheaper to buy new, but still perform well?

Thanks

Why not just use the Scandia?

The scandia might be going into another shop. My garage is about 750sf. What btu range and stove size would suit me best?

Hard to help u with a stove selection without knowing anything about your house. ....

That said, look at Englander stoves. Best bang for the buck out there I think.

Generally stoves are not permitted in garages. Have you checked with the local code?

Yeah they are allowed in my jurisdiction. My setup is CMU block exterior (uninsulated), floor slab to top of roof ridge is about 12-13'. Roof pitch is a 4/12 if I recall correctly. Going to end up just using the Scandia. With it setup on its legs, my 7 foot piece of 8" single wall stove pipe, and two 36" sections of class A chimney pipe to run throrugh the trusses, that should put me out the top of the roof within a safe distance to the highest point. If anyone around northern Baltimore has the following, I'd be interested in buying it used rather than new:
- Through roof flashing cone for class A 8" chimney pipe, for an 0/12 to 6/12 pitch roof
- A storm collar for class A 8" chimney pipe
- A cap/spark arrestor for class A 8" chimney pipe
- An adapter for my class A 8" pipe to 8" single wall stove pipe. My chimney pipe uses the standard twist-lock connections.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.