Used Whitfield Profile 30 insert - should I buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_M

Burning Hunk
Mar 28, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'm considering buying a 2-year old Whitfield Profile 30 insert to replace my wood burning insert on the main level of my 2400 sq ft home. I already have a Harman Invincible T ('93) in my basement. I'm just wondering if this is a good stove. Scanning some of the posts on this forum, there seem to be a fair number of problems reported for the Whitfield Profile models, but then again there are issues with all makes and models, many which are due to maintenance. The seller is asking $1000, which seems reasonable for a relatively new stove. He claims it was really only used for 1 season, and is in almost-new condition.

Also, does anyone know if some parts of the stove would still be under warranty? I've tried to find warranty info online but can't seem to find anything.

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Have you been able to see it operate? Make sure it will fit in your fireplace, but if you have a woodburning insert now then you should be all set.

If you want to switch from a wood to a pellet stove inside the house, you can be pretty sure that another good deal isn't going to show-up to give you an opportunity to choose between more than one model. So it's probably that one or none. Don't wait too long or you might lose the chance to get a good used one.

Thanks for the comments. I haven't been able to see it operate, as the seller lives 4 hours away, but I sent the seller a $50 deposit to hold on to it for me. I'm going to pick it up next week. A bit risky but everything sounds good so I thought I'd take the chance. I've been watching the classifieds for a used insert for 6 mos now, and they're very hard to find in this area.

Tim_M said:
Thanks for the comments. I haven't been able to see it operate, as the seller lives 4 hours away, but I sent the seller a $50 deposit to hold on to it for me. I'm going to pick it up next week. A bit risky but everything sounds good so I thought I'd take the chance. I've been watching the classifieds for a used insert for 6 mos now, and they're very hard to find in this area.

If the $1,000 includes the block-off plate, surround and liner. Then that seems like a Helluva deal. Does he have any pellets to throw in the deal? Always makes it worth it...

Status
Not open for further replies.