USG Next Generation Durock Usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Howdy folks. Just had a question in another thread that I thought warrants a little note to all you DIY'ers.

USG (United States Gypsum) is phasing out the standard Durock for a "Next Generation" Durock. The new product is UL Approved for fire rated assemblies... BUT IS NOT RATED FOR HEARTH USAGE.

Again, the new version of USG Durock is not rated for use in building a hearth.

This info came DIRECTLY from USG product engineers.

It seems that the new product contains Styrofoam beads to make the product lighter in weight, but could possibly outgas when used in a direct heat application (hearth pad).

Hope this is of help to anyone looking at building a hearth. Safety first.

Good that you got a reply, I haven't heard from them yet. But bad news for hearth building. We should all lobby USG to keep the original product on the market. I wonder if HPBA can help?

BeGreen said:
Good that you got a reply, I haven't heard from them yet. But bad news for hearth building. We should all lobby USG to keep the original product on the market. I wonder if HPBA can help?

Can we lobby for more Micore300 availability too? I could not buy less than 6 sheets and had to drive 2 hours if I wanted them.

Jags said:
USG (United States Gypsum) is phasing out the standard Durock for a "Next Generation" Durock. The new product ... IS NOT RATED FOR HEARTH USAGE.

According to this site, USG is indeed not selling original Durock anymore: http://www.durocknextgen.com/faqs.html

I gather "Next Generation" Durock has little styrofoam beads in it which make it lighter (yay!) but unsuitable for hearths (boo!)

Are people still finding traditional Durock in their lumber supply centers?
What hearth-rated product should I substitute for Durock in my hearth build?

sksmass said:
Are people still finding traditional Durock in their lumber supply centers?
What hearth-rated product should I substitute for Durock in my hearth build?

Good question, poured cement? Wonderboard did the same thing. I don't think there is a choice now.

Sure glad the Oslo just needs to have a non-combustible surface underneath.

I just checked on USG's website and it looks like they are listing it as a non-combustible. In their FAQs they say:

Q: Can DUROCK® Cement Board Next Gen be used for floor and wall shield application?

A: Yes. Using DUROCK cement board next gen allows the clearance between the UL rated heating appliance and the combustible wall to be reduced to as little as 12 inches.

http://www.usg.com/durock-cement-board.html#tab-faqs

Custom Building Products has the original Wonderboard still listed and says available at Home Depot stores.

you can for sure still get the original wonderboard at HD. picked up 6 sheets this weekend for neighbors hearth.

Good to know, thanks for the confirmation.

"Hardi-Backer" is fireproof as far as I know, if it's available in you area.

Did they change the product? To my knowledge Hardibacker contains cellulose fibers and is not approved for hearth/wall shield use. If there is documentation from Hardibacker to the contrary, please post.

BeGreen said:
I just checked on USG's website and it looks like they are listing it as a non-combustible. In their FAQs they say:

Q: Can DUROCK® Cement Board Next Gen be used for floor and wall shield application?

A: Yes. Using DUROCK cement board next gen allows the clearance between the UL rated heating appliance and the combustible wall to be reduced to as little as 12 inches.

http://www.usg.com/durock-cement-board.html#tab-faqs

Custom Building Products has the original Wonderboard still listed and says available at Home Depot stores.

*****WARNING - WARNING - WARNING*****

I called a tech support line for USG this morning to confirm this. USG Next Gen Durock in NOT APPROVED FOR HEARTH CONSTRUCTION.

They draw a distinction between a combustible/non-combustible wall and a hearth for solid fuel burning.

USG does NOT currently make a product approved for hearth construction.

1-800-USG-4YOU

^^^ that's what I got from reading their website ^^^

It's somehow "ok" for use as a wall shield, but NOT for hearth construction, and when they went to "nextgen" they dropped the old completely.

Dakotas Dad said:
^^^ that's what I got from reading their website ^^^

I thought that maybe they had done some additional testing and got the product approved so I actually called the product engineers (ya, I got that kind of connections. ;-) ). They CONFIRMED that their product is NOT to be used for hearth construction.

Bummer. Sounds like we need to lobby United Building Products and HPBA asap to keep Wonderboard on the market as the only pure cement board left. Please take some time today to send them a note.

Custom Building Products
13001 Seal Beach Blvd.
Seal Beach, CA 90740-2757
800-272-8786
562-598-8808
Fax: 800-200-7765
Email: [email protected]
www.custombuildingproducts.com

HPBA
Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association
1901 North Moore Street, Suite 600
Arlington, Va. 22209
Phone: (703) 522-0086
Fax: (703) 522-0548
http://www.hpba.org/contact-us

Is Wonderboard in fact listed for floor protection?

firefighterjake said:
Is Wonderboard in fact listed for floor protection?

Now come on Jake, I don't have THAT kind of connections. :)

Wonderboard and Durock (first gen) have been the preferred product for years. They are both pure cement board in a fiberglass mesh binder. CBP has not as much documentation. It will probably take a call to each of these companies. USG, because their website has several 2002 docs still listing Durock as approved for hearths and to get their FAQs straight. CBP, to see if they have some approval docs for the orig Wonderboard and to ask them to continue making the product.

BeGreen, Check out HardieBackers website, it lists the Hardiebacker as non combustible and can be used for fireplace facing.
When you refer to a hearth application is that something different?

Yes, quite different. It bugs me that the manufacturers are dancing around this application.

HD has 1/2 wonderboard, If I use this on top of the 1/2 Micore 300 I found and then tile that should be good for my Heritages 1.2 R hearth right?

BTW building inspectors are brutal cant ever get ahold of these guys, there prolly just going to say follow the manual anyways.

To make a correction to my above post:

Next gen durock does NOT contain styrofoam beads, but is STILL not rated for hearth construction. I just wanted to be as accurate as possible.

Sorry Johnny - but I cant answer your questions. I am not real up on R ratings of products.

Status
Not open for further replies.