using 1970 vigilant with 6 inch thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melissa

Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
southern vt
I was curious as to opinions regarding using an older vigilant which has an 8inch pipe connection with an existing 6inch thimble connected to a masonry chimney? (and how best to do it)

My sister has a old vigilant and i think it runs from oval to a 6" round It works OK .I had the stove in my house for a few years on a 8" flue .The stove seem to work the same. But the 8" would be better

The answer would depend a bit on the design and location of the masonry chimney. If it is a tall, lined, 8x8 interior chimney then it would probably work ok. If it is a short, exterior 10x12 chimney, then maybe not.

Can you describe the chimney in greater detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.