Using 3d video to see secondaries.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcims

Nov 18, 2008
Midwest
EDIT: WARNING! HEADACHE INDUCING CONTENT BELOW MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I used a few small scraps of lumber this evening to get a fire started, and saw some neat secondaries near the rear of the stove...it was like a little fire cloud that was hiding in the corner.

Having been very disappointed with photographs and videos of this type of thing in the past, I thought I might try to fashion a 3D video to see if that helps show the distinct flame layers. This was a bush league effort...I literally shot this holding both cameras by hand, they are different models and manufacturers, so the colors are off and bleed a bit. Surprisingly, however, the effect is actually still there. If you do the good ol' cross-yer-eyes method to join the two windows into one, you might note the little 'cloud' on the left side towards the rear.

(Note that you might need to tilt your head a bit to get them to register vertically. Also, viewing these in fullscreen by clicking the four diverging arrows at the bottom right of the player helps)

http://www.vimeo.com/8303311

Having enjoyed that, i shot another one of me loading a split. I wish i would have left the door open...
(Focusing in the little solitary flame at the center bottom of the log helps get things lined up for me. Also, backing up from the screen a bit avoids the headache.)

http://www.vimeo.com/8304367

I cannot be held responsible if your mother was right and your eyes get stuck like that. :)

Also, i'm not normally quite this sloppy with reloads...must have been stage fright. :p

um am I missing something here? I dont think my eyes work.

mikepinto65 said:
um am I missing something here? I dont think my eyes work.

haha, it's an acquired skill...staring at stereograms all over the mall when i was growing up improved it for me. Basically you just need to get the two images to overlap by backing from the screen and focusing on an area in between until the two images become one central one. Your eyes will 'lock in' on that and regain focus...you'll also see two 'ghost' versions, one on each side.

OI can see those 3d poster things fine, but this........... Doesnt work for me

Oy... I think I'm gonna yack! That cross your eyes trick made me a little motion sick trying to watch that video!

-SF

Pretty cool, just like thr 3D art that was so popular a few years back.

I saw the face of Elvis.

SlyFerret said:
Oy... I think I'm gonna yack! That cross your eyes trick made me a little motion sick trying to watch that video!

-SF

You should try watching it 100 times while trying to edit things so that they at least somewhat line up (different cameras with different lens elevation, zoom levels, etc...at least they shot the same resolution). I thought i was going to throw up. It helps if you back up a way from the PC so that you aren't going silly crosseyed.

Basic workflow was:

- Set my kid's cheapo point and shoot cameras to record video at 640x480

- Set them on sturdy surface and point at target, try to get the stove as centered and same-size as possible (difficult because LCDs were different sizes)

- Start both recording. Flip lights off in room to provide synchronization point for post processing and black background to ease the stereogram effect.

- When done, load videos into VirtualDub one at a time. Crop videos to frame where lights are turned off to end of vid.

- Create AVISynth script to load both videos side by side and to add borders to help align the images

- Load AVISynth video into VirtualDub, save as AVI with compression on.

- Open new stereo AVI and crop video for content.

- Upload to vimeo

You could do it with any subject, i just love the look of rolling secondaries and the flat 2D view you get from a single picture never really pulls them to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.