Using a 30 yr old, unused flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raderator

Dec 3, 2010
Northeast
I want to buy an Englander 17-VL and install it on the main floor in the center of our Cape Cod. Went up into the attic. The unused flue, which was installed when the house was built 30 yrs ago, is a Metalbestos SS Class A. Seems well secured. I can see down into the rising part. The sticker says 2” minimum to combustibles. The only place it doesn’t comply is where it goes thru the roof decking, which it touches on two sides. Not sure who’s fault that is. We recently had new shingles put on and a fancy steel chimney. I guess I’d have to take a jigsaw and widen the square opening or make it round on those two sides. I think I’ll call the roofing guy since he should have fixed that or at least centered it. Hole may be too small even if centered tho. There’s also a plate screwed to the side of the pipe with a couple of small bolts sticking out. No idea what that is.

It goes 9’ up, 3.5’ at a 45 degree angle, then up 2’ to the roof deck. Pipe diameter is 8” inside, 10” outside. Chimney is 3 or 4 feet high, near the ridge. Seems to be a proper box in the ceiling.

Total wood-stove noob here, just fishing for advice.

I'd say a bunch of pictures here and we could really give you some good advice.

pen

Yeah, only took one of the plate with my camera phone. Should have taken the real camera. But all you'll see is what I described. I'm just glad it wasn't some POS flue. The 17-VL specifies a 6" flue but I have a pretty good rise, maybe 24' and mostly inside.

Our cape code roof is way too steep for an amateur to access so I’m thinking of getting this bottem-up flue cleaner. They get rave customer reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RCH-20...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Not sure how they work. I assume the simplest thing would be to remove the stove pipe and maybe set a trash can on the stove with a couple of wood blocks?

Edit: Actually, what I'm going to need is maybe a small circular cutter than I can set to the depth of the roof decking's plywood . Otherwise, I'll cut thru the chimney's flashing. Or maybe not. I think the flashing is further out. I gotta talk to the roof guy, I guess. Maybe he'll fix it since it's his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.