Using a Fireplace Steamer - HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billesq123

Feb 14, 2015
NorthEast Ohio
I recently installed a "fireplace crane" in my fireplace, and I hang a cast iron fireplace tea kettle on it to use it as a humidifier for the room. I swing the kettle in to get it hot, and then swing the arm out once it's hot.

The problem: Once hot, the steam that is emanating from the kettle gets drawn into the fireplace and up the flue due to the updraft. Obviously not the intended result. :(

Does anyone have any suggestion to better direct the steam into the room? My kettle has an open lid on it.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Use a room humidifier. Even if you come up with a solution the amount of moisture gained into the room air is negligible.

Take the kettle off and put it on a trivet somewhere else? But as BeGreen said, it will not put any significant humidity into the room. In fact, with the huge amount of dry cold air that your fireplace draws into the house you will be better off to not run the fireplace if you want an appropriate humidity level in your home. Plus, the fireplace will probably do little to heat your home if that is your reason for burning in it.

Aye, chimneys will draw things up, it's what they're meant to do. Sounds like your set up has quite a large pleasure/aesthetic aspect to it? I would say just enjoy that for what it is and get your humidity content in another way.

I agree with a humidifier. I've been using a pot to steam moisture in the air for years. And we've always had a very dry house. Just recently we started using our Vicks humidifier in the stove room and it's made a big difference. According to the humidity gauge, we are now in the middle of the comfort zone (50% range) where before we weren't even close to the start of the comfort zone. We were at 20-25%.
I no longer use the pot on the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.