Using a freestanding wood stove in a manufactured fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdoc

Sep 29, 2009
United States
I am basically trying, (or hoping) to essentially put a woodstove (Garrison made in 1980, 6" outlet) into a Heatalator 123. I picked up the stove because it will fit nicely within the fireplace, since getting down to it though, the types of concerns mentioned in another thread: (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66/) have occurred to me. I know enough to keep the 6" chimney pipe (matching the needs of this stove) throughout, and figured on a SS chimney liner, figuring the 9" double wall Heatalator chimney to be then a very safe outer set up?

Originally I assumed the fireplace box design with 3 generously air spaced layers of sheet metal sides and lined w/firebrick and metal faced air gap in the rear and bottom to be fine for inserting a smaller stove w/minimal clearances. As well it may, but the fireplace may be 40 or 50 years old, but has a UL plate (without specifics on a rating) the stove is cast iron and sound but I don't see any UL tag. The closest wood studs are approximately 10.5” but shielded by several sheet metal layers and air gaps from what would be the front end stove surfaces there is also circulation air space under a cement bottom shelf, and at the top of the opening or bottom of the what I’ll call the hood area, open to vent the sheet metal air spaces throughout.

My hopefully possible, but far less than attractive second alternative may be to rip out the wall around the fireplace, get rid of the wood studs, header etc, keep the top section and chimney in place, do the SS liner and use metal studs in the upper area only at conventional wood stove clearances. Is this even possible, it sounds as though the regulations may preclude any use of the fireplace equipment in conjunction with the stove. I also have had a slightly larger version of the same stove with an 8" pipe (I decided this one was too big for inserting) this would be better for heat if this alternate is a possibility? If you have any expertise or experience; I appreciate the help, please share it with me. I’m hoping I don’t have 2 useless anchors here.
Thanks.

Greetings wdoc. It may be a reasonably safe installation, though hard to say without seeing all parts of the system. Site inspection of the condition of all the mentioned assemblies is critical. Given the age of all of the components, it sounds like a temporary setup at best and likely outside of code. But perhaps not. Pictures would be a help.

Not sure if your proposed install will meet code, but you'll definitely hafta wrap the liner.
The ZC chimney is not rated for the temperatures generated by the wood stove.

Best have a professional Wett certified sweep take a look a it. Almost a sure guarantee that the original pipe will not be near the heat rating needed. At that age it could also be deteriorating. If it were me, I would be starting a fresh with new pipe and a new stove. That would give about 20 years of solid peace of mind, much cleaner burning and a lot less wood consumed.

Not to code what your looking to do. The best thing to do would be replacing the chimney with class A pipe. If code wasnt a concern the suggestion of wrapping the liner would a must follow

Status
Not open for further replies.