1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Using a large fan to speed up the seasoning process?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Dan in Little Rock, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan in Little Rock

Dan in Little Rock New Member

I heard somewhere that there is no such thing as a stupid question, so here goes:

I have a couple of large (32") fans and a fair amount of oak that I cut just a few months ago. Would stacking this wood in front of the fans speed the drying process up enough to use the wood this season? This would be done in an insulated (but not airtight) garage.

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Humm , I would think it would take a lot of energy to do this and for a long time. "ME" ....... i normally take two seasions to seasion my oak and 9 months for other wood.
  3. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    I think you will be wasting alot of electricity. My experience is.....

Wood does not dry until it is split. ( At least in my humid, VA coastline area).

The fastest I get wood to dry is to split it, stack it single file, with sun exposure, and with a plastic cover ONLY on the top- not covering the sides.

The thiner the splits, the quicker the dry time. The oak I'm burning now was dropped in June.

It just takes awhile for that water to migrate out from the center of the wood, and I don't think a fan will speed up that process!

Good Luck and stay warm.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sandor has it right. I would just add that if you can stack it so that the prevailing winds blow through the stack it will dry a bit quicker.
  5. Dan in Little Rock

Dan in Little Rock New Member

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
  6. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    Hey Sandor. Where in VA?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.