Using a MEMCO wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnityMe

Jun 29, 2008
Unity , ME
Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me. I have a MEMCO 100 SR 200,000 BTU wood boiler in my basement that has not been used in a long time. It has been checked out and is in good condition. We intend to use it this winter and are having a new chimney built.

Does anyone have any experience with these? This house is 3000 sqf and was built in 1830. We used 2000 gallons of oil last year. We anticipate about 10 cord of wood this year. Does that sound right?

Does anyone have the manual on this. I don't have any experience with wood heat. If anyone can offer any guidance/hints/good ideas or nice to knows, I would be grateful. I don't even know what questions to ask.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a 120,000 btu MEMCO that I have used for the past two years in my 200 year old poorly insulated brick cape that is about 2000 sqaure feet. It is a well made boiler, but they are not very efficent. 10 cords is probably cutting it close if you plan to only use the wood boiler. Do you have a automatic draft damper ? Also make sure you have some sort of overheat protection on the boiler. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.