Using a multimeter to measure wood moisture level (from the Wood Shed forum)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
twitch said:
Interesting thread from the Wood Shed on using a multimeter to measure moisture content.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/44360/

Oops...meant to post this in the 'Those useful tidbits of information' sticky. If the moderators think it's sticky-worthy, would you mind putting this in there?

Thanks.

I'll admit that I haven't tried doing the multi-meter, but I didn't really think it was all that great of an idea - A cheap moisture meter isn't that big of an expense, not much more than a low end multi meter, and seems like it avoids the question of dealing with the probes and needing to reference a chart to get a reading...

My feeling was that it's a "Yes you may, but why would you WANT to?" kind of thing - I'm pretty darn cheap, and didn't hesitate for a minute to get the moisture meter...

Bottom line, I appreciate the suggestion, but IMHO it isn't a "sticky worthy" item...

Gooserider

To get an HF moisture meter in my area I have to mail order it as the local HF does not seem to carry one. I have a dmm and an analogue one too and I have tested this digitally but not analogue. It does work well enough but the probes need to go in one hand and the meter in the other while watching out for snags around the wood that like to grab the lead part that hangs down. I know, I know a good splitter wouldn't have any snags in his wood pile...yada yada yada...
Still it is a good way to poke infromation at a "seasoned" wood seller er seller of "seasoned wood".

Status
Not open for further replies.