Using a stove in shop to heat house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Many contractors intentionally leave very visible violations so that the inspector will fail them on low dollar repairs. Otherwise the inspector will look and look till they decide what to fail the job on and it can cost thousands or more to alter to the way the inspector decides he wants done that day.

Wow! That is the opposite of my experience and I only live an hour and a half south of you! Screw PDX! My inspections took about 2 minutes each and they didn't seem to give one single **** about anything other than, are the smoke detectors installed.

Wow! That is the opposite of my experience and I only live an hour and a half south of you! Screw PDX! My inspections took about 2 minutes each and they didn't seem to give one single **** about anything other than, are the smoke detectors installed.
It all depends on the jurisdiction, or the individual inspector. I know contractors that become friends with inspector and they get permits signed without even a visit. Other inspectors will hard nose you till they get tired of the game. It is very hit and miss. There are a lot of small towns all sitting side by side here, you never know. Many contractors are starting to avoid pulling permits because of the trouble. If you know what you are doing sometimes you have to explain it to the inspector. Other inspectors are very intelligent and well meaning.

The item that sticks in my mind about stoves (and here I am only commenting on what I see here) is the installation of a stove into a pre-existing chimney. It is my understanding that I can install a stove into an existing tile chimney. Place stove on a pad, use a few feet of pipe, properly connect into existing chimney and it is legal by the code. A little more involved but you get the idea. Arguably not ideal, but to code and correct. But if I run a unlined stainless liner up the same chimney (wood to brick clearance issues) it is a code violation. Far safer than the tile only install, but now a code violation.
That is not true at all without the proper clearances the chimney is not code complain whether it has clay liners or an uninsulated stainless liner. The fact is that most clay lined chimneys used for solid fuel burners are not code compliant.

A co-worker of mine was installing a pre-epa stove in his pole barn a few years ago. I told him a few of the things that were wrong (not allowed here to install an older stove, too close to an unprotected wall, to short of a chimney out of the roof. His wife made him get it inspected. The fire department does the inspections where he is. The marshal told him all was great, it was better than most he was seeing. Inspections are not always the answer, proper work is. He built a super hot fire (he always left the door open so it would make more heat) and his wood wall lit off.
You are absolutely correct there we see many things that were missed by inspectors. And what gets me is they are not liable for things they miss at all while we are.

It all depends on the jurisdiction, or the individual inspector. I know contractors that become friends with inspector and they get permits signed without even a visit. Other inspectors will hard nose you till they get tired of the game. It is very hit and miss. There are a lot of small towns all sitting side by side here, you never know. Many contractors are starting to avoid pulling permits because of the trouble. If you know what you are doing sometimes you have to explain it to the inspector. Other inspectors are very intelligent and well meaning.
Yes the way I see it though that is not a problem with the codes it is a problem with a few of the people that are in charge of enforcing the codes.

I work with an electrician, and I also spoke with the electrician who did our wiring (We ripped out all old wiring and started fresh) and they both said the same thing: The inspectors are simply there to sign off that the work has been done so there is a third party involved to prove to insurance companies that nothing shady is going on. Nothing more. The real person making sure the work is done correctly is the person doing the physical work. They also both said if the inspector knew of the contractor's reputation (and it was good) they were even less likely to spend much time at an inspection.

Definitely went that way for us.

The inspectors are simply there to sign off that the work has been done so there is a third party involved to prove to insurance companies that nothing shady is going on.
Yes the inspectors are there to make nothing shady is going on. Just another set of eyes to look over things they are not perfect and can miss stuff but most of them do their best

But back to the op if you are planning on using a furnace that is meant to be hooked to an hvac system and you follow all of the instructions and codes I don't see a safety issue with doing it. But you may not be thrilled with the performance a long run from the furnace to the air handler then back out the trunk is a lot of heat loss. I am sure it would help some but you will be sacrificing allot of heat.

I installed a PSG Max Caddy and love it. Definitely lives up to its reputation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use the Englander furnace think about running a return air duct to the inlet of the blower it will increase performance and allow for air filtering. That's my plan anyway.