Using a stove thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and thought it would just provide some anecdotal information. Wowza! It's really changing the way I burn, especially with seasoned wood. It also making me :gulp: at some of the burning I've done both last spring with this stove and back in yonder years with my old cast iron stove.

I would never have bothered to pick one up if I had not been participating in this forum.

How it has changed the way you burn?

Kathleen, I burned wood for around 50 years before using a thermometer. One came with our new Fireview. Now, like a lot other things, I wonder how I got along without one! Well, now I wonder how I ever got along without two because we have one on the stove top and the other on the horizontal flue. It is kind of nice knowing what the temperature is and you learn to do some things a bit different.

One good example is that I always knew from my youth that if the draft was open full and the damper too (don't have one now) that the stove pipe would get pretty hot. Now I know just how hot it can get and also use the temperature readings as gauges on when to set both the draft and the bypass.

I was letting the fire get too hot, and then trying to coax it down from there. Now I am starting to manage it at a more reasonable temperature. I need to get another one for my flue as Dennis mentioned.

I have 2, also. Very handy to use for cutting back the air, or conversely, opening it back up. Eliminates the guesswork.
Lots of folks have posted on here about how they aren't getting any heat, only to find that they've left the air open. Maybe stove shops should offer a little mini class or seminar on best woodburning practices?
Seems kind of crazy to put in a stove, then just let 'er rip because you don't know any better. I know, when we moved here, I got a little advice from my brother, but now know he's a neanderthal. He likes to do things the way they've been done for years. My thought is, if there's a better way, that will save you time, money, and effort, why not give it a shot?
Good on 'ya Kathleen, for giving the therm. a shot, and not being a neanderthalette. :coolsmile:

Sounds like you are becoming a pro, Kath. Take the stove just up to cruising altitude and let it glide.

PapaDave, careful, I know a neanderthal on this site that has two thermometers on the face of his insert. Make burning so easy even a caveman can do it.

Very sensible post, Kathleen. I find having a thermo on the pipe above is all I need, it confirms that the chimney is warmed up and draft is established. The surface temp of the stove is more of academic interest.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like you are becoming a pro, Kath. Take the stove just up to cruising altitude and let it glide.

PapaDave, careful, I know a neanderthal on this site that has two thermometers on the face of his insert. Make burning so easy even a caveman can do it.

HeHe, even SOME cavemen/women can learn. My brother seems to be the exception.

You might want to test the thermometer by putting it in your oven for a bit. I have two of the HD ones and they were both off by about 150 too high. I was able to "calibrate" them by simply spinning the needle backwards a little and re-confirming in the oven. On the stovepipe - make sure you get a probe type if it is double walled pipe, they work great.

*makes mental note to get thermo's for the Timber Ridge*

Thanks, K !!

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
*makes mental note to get thermo's for the Timber Ridge*

Thanks, K !!

Just got one of these in the mail.. http://www.inandoutlifestyles.com/chth.html Fast and free shipping and a good price.. I prefer this style on the stovepipe and have another type on the stove body now if I can just get this chimney sorted out I can run it too!

Ray

It's addicting. I now have 3 thermometers and an IR gun. The inner-nerd has come out.

pen

pen said:
It's addicting. I now have 3 thermometers and an IR gun. The inner-nerd has come out.

pen

Go ahead and get it over with. One of these days you are going to note the temp on the stove top and then go up and get the liner temp at the top.

Don't ask me how I know that you will. :red:

BrotherBart said:
pen said:

pen

Go ahead and get it over with. One of these days you are going to note the temp on the stove top and then go up and get the liner temp at the top.

Don't ask me how I know that you will. :red:

:coolhmm: If I didn't firmly believe you lived in Va, I'd accuse you of stalking.

BTW, at 1000 on the flue probe before it was never over 225 at the top of the chimney. Got nearly 400 the other day with the new liner! (thankfully, my roof is an easy shingled 4/12 to walk on)

pen

LOL :lol:

I only did it once. But thought about it several times. I was just glad to see 224 up there with the stove top at 400. Just wanted to know it was over the boiling point of water and I was happy.

BrotherBart said:
I only did it once. But thought about it several times. I was just glad to see 224 up there with the stove top at 400. Just wanted to know it was over the boiling point of water and I was happy.

Did your wife know you did this? I think it'd be easier for me to sneak a cigarette (been quit for 2.5 years) and I'd probably take less grief than if she catches me up on the roof anymore checking out that liner.

pen

Kathleen,

Again, as these numbers should be used as reference not gospel, but for my stove, in my home, w/ my chimney, w/ my wood, and my geographic location, w/ my 3 thermometers ( 1 chimney probe and 2 rutland magnetics) here is what works for me.

thermometertemps1.jpg

thermometertemps2.jpg

thermometertemps3.jpg

thermometertemps4.jpg

pen

Wouldn't it be easier to just look through the glass and see it?

precaud said:

You have one of those New Mexico slick tile roofs, don't ya? :lol:

precaud said:

I find that no two fires who look the same produce the same heat consistently. It's all relative based upon wood, outside temps, coal bed, (stove presumably) etc.

However, regardless of how the fire looks, if i treat it the same according to the thermometers I always get the same end results in this particular piece of machinery in this particular location.

Looks are deceiving.

pen

BrotherBart said:
You have one of those New Mexico slick tile roofs, don't ya? :lol:
You must be confusing us with SoCal... almost an insult. :lol:

pen said:
However, regardless of how the fire looks, if i treat it the same according to the thermometers I always get the same end results in this particular piece of machinery in this particular location.

Whatever works.. carry on...

Pen, I find it interesting that your stack temp is higher than stove top in every case, it seems like most people report just the opposite except for reload and start up, do you ever have fires where the stove top is hotter than the stack temp? I like your drawings as it makes it easy for an idiot (me) to understand.

I only have a probe type thermometer in single wall stove pipe. It is a darned good indicator. Not sure just how accurate it is. Probably pretty good, from what I gather. I'd feel lost without it. Even a stove top thermometer would be better than nothing, IMO. Seems to me I simply could not reliably tell whether my free standing stove was running too hot or too cold without instruments. Lots of good coaling and not very much visible smoke are both good clues, however. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.