Using an indirect tank as a heat exchanger?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S.Whiplash

Oct 28, 2012
I am about to install an indoor wood gasification boiler and I found a good deal locally on an HTP indirect Stainless Steel Heat Exchanger for Pool/Spa Heating. I will not be using this for a pool but as a heat exchanger right off of the boiler.
Here is a link to this product.
http://www.htproducts.com/superstor-ultra-poolheater.html

This indirect tank is rated at 200,000 btu output which is more than I need but as I understand it the more output the better. Just wondering if a product like this can be used in place of a flat plate heat exchanger and if there is any advantage or disadvantage to doing so.

Look around and see if you can find how their 200K BTU rating is achieved. It might require steady 180F or even 200F supply temps and relatively cold water from the pool (or whatever) to get that rate of heat exchange. Typical wood boiler supply temps and normal heating water return temps may derate that 200K under most conditions in a typical heating system.

It may be a good deal but don't count on that rating until you find out how it was achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.