Using bolts as levellers on Englander 17-VL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Jan 9, 2008
WNC
The sunroom I'm enclosing has a poured slab floor that slopes away from the house at about 1" every 5 feet. I am going to install the 17-VL out there so that the width of the stove goes down the slope. Rather than build something level out of wood and then have to worry about getting the R values right for the hearth, I am thinking of using 2 bolts, washers, and nuts through the shipping holes on the downhill side of the base of the stove to level it up. Other than a gap between the bottom of the stove and the concrete floor, do you see any issues with this?

The hardware would be pretty stout (looks like 3/8" or 1/2" might fit through there without modification), and I could cut and drill a piece of steel bar to support the floor of the stove on the end where the bolts would be. The bolt heads would be the feet of the levellers.

Your plan should work ok as long as the stove is solidly set on all 4 corners and level. The gap is no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.