using children's glycerin soap bubbles to determine air/heat flow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
I hope this doesn't seem too frivolous. I don't know how many people could use this idea but for anyone trying to figure out which way the heat from your stove is going and which way to place a fan to optimize circulation this might be just the ticket.

We discovered this while the insert was going and Craig was blowing bubbles for the girls. The effect isn't dramatic but we could see that of the bubbles that clearly drifted to the left or the right most of them went towards the front hall.

Some of the bubbles got sucked into the insert, presumably that's how the cold air gets warmed. Although Craig was concerned it may also be an indication of how much heat is going up the chimney.

In any case I recommend glycerin bubbles because they don't pop as quickly. They are more expensive but we like them anyways since they can last a long time, literally for hours. The one place I know that you can get them is Gymboree.

Depending upon the feedback here and whether it seems like this has any practical application I may also post this over in the Pellet forum or anyone can feel free to start a thread and post a link to this one.
~Cath

Status
Not open for further replies.