Using chimney pipe caulk and assembly.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slackercruster

Oct 21, 2011
Bought a tube of chimney pipe caulk to use on the black pipes. Was told they will leak smoke if I don't caulk them. I'm using the wood burner in a 5 x 7 foot sauna, so it is a small area and don't wnat lots of smoke in it.

What is the neatest way to apply caulk? Should it be put on both male and female pipe ends? Or just coat the inner part of the female pipe? They also sold tubs of it, but I figured a caulk tube would be neater.

Once pipes are caulked, should they be screwed together? If so, how many screws to do you put in each pipe joint?

Thanks

If the chimney is working properly there is no need for any caulk.

Welcome to the forum slackercruster.

I've always caulked. It is cheap and easy to do. Easy to clean up too using a wet rag. Not so much concerned with smoke as I am with air leaks. That is, air getting into the flue which will cool the flue air. This is also one place you will find your flue dirty if you don't caulk. Screwing the pipe together is good insurance in case of any backpuffing. Usually 3 #6 self tapping screws work good. Enjoy that sauna!

Status
Not open for further replies.