using coal (changing from wood to coal or in combo)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davejerry

Nov 20, 2008
catskills,ny
Hi everyone, I'm using a Hotblast 1557M currently with wood. I've heard that stove coal can burn longer and hotter. What's the best way to start using coal? (basically i'm too lazy to get up in the middle of the night to put on more wood) Can i use wood during the day then switch to coal at night; then back to wood the next day? I've heard about gases from the coal that can explode; is this so and how does this happen? Any help is appreciated. thanks

some people around her use both. They will load up the stove with some wood and then add some coal to it , they claim to get good results with it

Are you using bituminous or anthracite & what size coal? I'm running both very successfully but I'm using bit. coal in large pieces. Does your stove have shaker grates?

anthracite. the chunks are rather large though, about 2-3" big. yes i have shaker grates. i also have the barometric damper installed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.