Using Data to Determine When Time to Clean Boiler / Brush Tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
Data collection and monitoring system software can be very useful. By observing the trend data below I can see as the flue temps begin to trend upward over time. In my case I monitor these temps and generate an alarm that tells me when it is time to clean the boiler and even a danger alarm should the temps increase beyond the 'safe' limit. Just re-fired the unit this morning after thorough cleaning and of course return of the cold weather here in the northeast. Feeling warm.

upload_2015-1-5_7-32-26.png

I have a monitor too. It's a thermostat in the flu. LOL

I have a monitor too. It's a thermostat in the flu. LOL
That'll work to. This thing kind of a hobby for me. I probably go a little overboard but the wife likes it because it tells here when to re-load when I'm not here and when to call me if something seems wrong.

Reactions: woodsmaster
And the observed benefits of clean fire tubes as of this morning...max flue temperature before cleaning was as high as 653 Deg F and consistently above 600 Deg F at some point during each firing cycle. when clean max firing temps typically 450-500 DegF. Also heated on start up this morning the 55 Gallon boiler capacity from cold temp around 110 DegF to 192 DegF in about 45 minutes. Of course I used shoulder season wood to do this. Saving the dense stuff for the cold nights approaching this week with the arctic freeze being forecast.

upload_2015-1-5_10-46-50.png

It's awesome that your wife loads the boiler.
She'll load it if I ask her but generally prefer to do this myself unless I'm out of my home office on business.

Status
Not open for further replies.