Using existing LINED Oil Chimney for Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimjones360

Sep 21, 2014
The Great White North...
Hey there everyone on this wonderfully informative and helpful community!

my apologies for my LONG WINDED post :(

This would be my 3rd year of using pellet stoves for heating & sadly my Enviro Mini cannot reach/properly heat all the rooms / floors of this old 120+ yr old Victorian home. So I would use the wonderfully in-efficient oil furnace to help get the heat upstairs and to other rooms... however im tired of paying exorbitant oil prices & I just happened across a barely used (under 2yrs) FLAME FP-45 @ an incredible price, so I bought it without thinking twice....

Now im wondering the following:

Can I utilize my already existing OIL Chimney for my new pellet stove?

Id rather not have to either drill a hole into the foundation, or rig up some sorta mac-giver style Pellet exhaust, when not 3 feet away from where I want to place this new pellet stove is the OIL Furnace chimney that is, I believe, 5" (The Flame FP-45 can vent to a 3" or a 4" according to the manual)

There was a NEW fancy metal liner installed within last 5yrs, by the oil company...

This chimney is roughly 45' from the basement to the peak of the roof.

If I can successfully tie this into my existing chimney I will NOT be using the oil furnace at the same time as the pellet stove(and quiet honestly I hope I never have to use it again)

I just sorted out the enviro mini's smoke/soot leak that slowly coated everything in my home. So id very much like to avoid going through that again on a much larger scale...

Am I dreaming? Is this going to be a giant pain in the butt? or is this something that would be a possibility?

Again I would NEVER Run both OIL and PELLET @ the same time on the Same Chimney

*********************************************************************************
Second question
*********************************************************************************

if the above IS possible has anyone had experience with utilizing existing furnace ducts / cold air return / furnace fan to spread the warm air throughout the house?

Both Pellet stoves will be in the basement and im in the process of adding a second cold air return vent upstairs and using the existing one in the basement to distribute the warm air throughout the house.

Thank you in advance for any and all help / suggestions.

You cant share flue's, against code, why are the stoves not upstairs?, pellet stoves are just a space heater, you want heat to blow you out, get a wood stove

sadly I do not have room upstairs for them :(

The mini has done very well heating my once icy cold kitchen. I figured adding a second on the opposite side of basement, with some newly added floor grates & using my furnace cold air return system to cycle the warm air around that would do me good.

with some newly added floor grates &
If by floor grates you are talking about an opening that allows heat to rise to the level above, you should be made aware that in most places fire code does not allow them. They allow fire to spread more quickly and are considered a hazard.

You cant share flue's, against code,
Also a bad idea, it allows an alternate path for the exhaust gasses to flow thru weather using both at the same time or not, very dangerous.

If by floor grates you are talking about an opening that allows heat to rise to the level above, you should be made aware that in most places fire code does not allow them
Does adding a rated fire damper negate this issue? Or is still a bad idea, have been considering it myself and have priced the damper's, there not very expensive. The thought in the back of my mind is since it's against code to install a burning device into a bedroom (CO build up?) does the open vent create the same condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.