Using Existing SL300 Pipe In Chase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
The Quad 7100, HeatnGlo Northstar, and Heatilator Constitution all use SL300 pipe, which is already in the pipe chase from the Heatilator fireplace (now has insert with liner).

Would the savings be in the thousands to remove the SL300 and put in another stove mfr's recommended pipe? I'm thinking it might.

If the SL300 hasn't been used except with the liner, should it still be in good shape? I'm thinking it should.

Thanks.

The house came with a Heatilator z.c. fireplace, which I believes uses SL300 pipe.
I put an insert in the fireplace and a liner down the SL300 flue.
Now, I'm toying with the idea of ripping out the old heatilator and starting from scratch with an EPA z.c. fireplace (wife won't go for free-standing).
Since the Northstar and Quad 7100 both use the SL300, I thought I could save some money using the existing SL300 pipe that is mounted in the chase.
I don't even know how easy it would be to change out if I went with an other (lower cost unit) that used a different chimney system.
Would the siding and sheathing have to be removed from the chase?

NOW it makes sense. If you're gonna go with the Northstar,
your chase has to be 6 feet wide to accommodate the outside air (6" system),
the unit, & the room needed to center it in the chase so it looks right.
I agree that your existing SL300 series SHOULD be OK, but
until you remove it & inspect it, you won't know for sure.
IIRC, the Northstar requires a MINIMUM chimney height of
15 feet (from the top of the unit) to draft correctly, so you'll also hafta
take THAT into consideration....
Hope this helped a little...

That helped a lot, thanks!
Not sure if I have 6', also, there is an oil burner flue in the same chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.