Using fire block spray foam to seal faceplate in Fisher Fireplace Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vt-new-fp

Feb 18, 2018
VT
I have a Fisher Fireplace Insert. The fireplace opening is very large so a friend extended the original faceplate so that it would fit over the opening. It made a big difference in making the heat come into the room and not go up the chimney. However, it's not tight-tight against the uneven stone front of the fireplace. I put some rockwool and fiberglass insulation in some of the slots, but there are still big gaps. There's fireblock sprayfoam you can get that's rated to go up to the outside of chimneys in interior applications (like where an attic floor meets a chimney). I was thinking of using that instead of the loose insulation to get a better fit. Do you experts foresee any trouble with that?
IMG_20230924_081613.jpg
gap w insulation.jpg

I have a Fisher Fireplace Insert. The fireplace opening is very large so a friend extended the original faceplate so that it would fit over the opening. It made a big difference in making the heat come into the room and not go up the chimney. However, it's not tight-tight against the uneven stone front of the fireplace. I put some rockwool and fiberglass insulation in some of the slots, but there are still big gaps. There's fireblock sprayfoam you can get that's rated to go up to the outside of chimneys in interior applications (like where an attic floor meets a chimney). I was thinking of using that instead of the loose insulation to get a better fit. Do you experts foresee any trouble with that? View attachment 315800View attachment 315801
No absolutely do not use any spray foam in that location

Is there a block off plate at bottom of flue?

I don't know. It's a heatolater (c. 1940s, I think) - they cut into the cast iron of the heatolater to get the stainless liner up there and put some rockwool around where the collar and liner went up through the heatolater to the flue. There's that collar thing around the top opening of the stove.