Using gas furnace fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2006
southwestern Pa.
I have always wanted to try to use my blower from my gas furnace to push the heat from my woodburning furnace. When I have tried this in the past it has cooled of the heat from the woodburner considerably. I assume that is because it is pushing the heat with cold air. My question is, if I run my heat from the woodburner into the cold air return going into the gas furnace, would the fan then draw the heat and not cool it down? Would it cause any damage to the gas furnace?

I would think putting a bigger blower on the wood furnace would be better to move the air then redoing the duct work. I use my
wood furnace's fan during the summer to get the cold A/C air to the 2nd story.
Overall it is harder for me to keep the house from getting to hot during the winter. I just put a closeable vent in the ductwork in the basement so I can stop the hot air going upstairs. I try to keep the house 72-75. I have the Yukon big jack add on furnace which
I'm very pleased with.

The only difference is that I replaced the manual backdraft damper with one that opens up by itself when the gas furnace blower kicks on. I am pretty sure that the woodburner blower is a little undersized for the job. My backflow damper is located in the main duct about 1 foot from the plenum of the gas furnace. I think what is happening is that the hot air from the wb is stalling back by the damper and that is what is slowing it down to my upstairs. The wb blower has plenty of power to push it to the intake side of the gas furnace. I just wondered if the gas furnace blower would suck the heat without cooling it. Also, I know that the woodburner heat is a lot higher temperature than the gas furnace. If this idea would work, would that higher temp
damage the gas furnace? The way my woodburner is installed there really isn't any room to install a bigger blower.

Attachments

• wb1.JPG
    wb1.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 215
Status
Not open for further replies.