Using glass for a stove pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mik_kane

Feeling the Heat
Dec 14, 2012
NEPA Poconos
I have a Harman P61 that I am thinking of moving upstairs. I have wood floors and a round glass table top that has no base. Can I use the glass table top as a stove pad for my stove. I can not remember the base getting that hot where the glass barrier wood damage the wood floor from the heat of the stove. The glass is tempered just to let you know.

Thanks

Would need to put a quality pad of sort on stove base to keep the stove cracking the base. Still a lot of weight IMO.

Temperature should be fine. I'd be more worried about breaking the glass with a heavy pellet stove.

Would need to put a quality pad of sort on stove base to keep the stove cracking the base. Still a lot of weight IMO.
Temperature should be fine. I'd be more worried about breaking the glass with a heavy pellet stove.

The glass will be laying flat on the floor. I understand about the weight, will give it a try before it becomes a final install was just concerned about the heat. Thanks

You might want to check and see if using glass as a hearth pad is to code.

I think it's a good idea and great way to repurpose the unused glass. I would shore up the floor from below to prevent it from flexing due to the weight of the stove. Then put a good straight edge on the floor where the stove will be placed and check for any low or high spots that might cause the glass to break. With a solid landing and absolutely smooth floor I think it would work.

For a period of time the p61 required a thermal rated hearth pad. Not just ember protection. One member moved his stove and pad which was on a vinyl floor and the vinyl was discolored meaning too much heat got through the pad. This caused me to look more closely at my installation the the dealer did for me a couple weeks prior to me reading the post. I found out that my p61 required a thermal rated pad. The dealer had installed an ember rated and didn't know about the thermal requirement. They came out and swapped my pad for the correct type.

I wouldn't use it. Tempered glass just needs one little scratch and it will break into a million little pieces. The same thing can happen with stress in the right place. I know tempered glass is real hard to break with a hammer but if the hammer has a point like a center punch it's easy, just a little tap.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.