using grey water...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

76ER

Nov 30, 2007
Southern Ontario
has anyone out there ever seen grey water recycled in the home? With the ever increasing water bill in my neck of the woods I am interested in recycling grey water from my kitchen sink and bathroom sink to flush my toilet...I spoke with a friend of mine who remembers doing this as a child...just trying to figure out the contraption I would need to construct in order to make this work..any ideas???

I use my grey water for outside watering. I have a small garden that sits in a hole in my backyard (approx 15' elevation drop). My back deck extends off the side of the hill and underneath is a 200 gallon water tote tank, plumbed into the grease trap burrried at the top of the hill. I can turn on the water with a valve and it has plenty of pressure for a sprinkler head.

Jason

Art Ludwig has written 3or4 good books on the use of greywater. Amazon .com carries them. He does not recommend reuse in toilets I believe. There are waterless composting toilets to really save water.

Many health/septic codes prohibit grey water use as you propose. No opinion on my part, but rationale is all water that comes into contact with humans may carry pathogens and needs to be handled by the septic/sewer system. If the grey water can enter the water table, also a potentially serious health/pollution issue.

Wait, isn't grey and brown water entering the ground via my septic field on a daily basis?

There is a whole section in most plumbing code books devoted to grey water systems.
This approach is used in many parts of the world but is behind the curve here in North America.
It is typically associated with large projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.