Using horses/mules to pull logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nojo

Dec 22, 2009
Western/cent Mass
Any of you guys use livestock to pull logs out of the woods? I've got some downed timber, and few I might cut this winter. Was thinking about using a draft horse to pull some out. With the snow on the ground might be a good time to do it. Whats your guys experience?

There was a guy in this area that used a pair of draft horses for years to clear land, didn't make the mess skidders do, he's since bought a farm in upstate NY but he made a living at it for years.

A guy here in Charlotte, MI was using a team of mules much less damage than a skidder.

If you know how to ground drive a team, it's a viable/eco friendly option.

There was a Dirty Jobs episode (with Mike Rowe) where two guys were logging with mules. I can't remember if they were required to use mules to log or they just chose to for economical reasons. I know in some areas, like certain National Forests, logging with machinery is not allowed.

It would be kinda neat, but I have never fully trusted horses of any kind, although I grew up around them. If you don't know what you are doing, they can hurt you quite badly, or worse.

Nic36 said:
There was a Dirty Jobs episode (with Mike Rowe) where two guys were logging with mules. I can't remember if they were required to use mules to log or they just chose to for economical reasons. I know in some areas, like certain National Forests, logging with machinery is not allowed.

It would be kinda neat, but I have never fully trusted horses of any kind, although I grew up around them. If you don't know what you are doing, they can hurt you quite badly, or worse.

And they can be your best confidant/partner.

I didn't intend to upset any of the horse lovers here. Heck, my Dad has a mule, donkey and 4 horses, so I'm still around them from time to time. They're just not my cup of tea.

I just wanted to point out there is an extra risk when working around large powerful animals with a brain of their own.

It's like anything else, take the proper precautions and be aware of the dangers.

I have horses, jackass's,goats, chichens,a pot belley pig, peachocks, ginnies,etc
One of my horses is named Chance, he's a Draft horse. I had him one time pull my tractor out of a bad situation, Big mistake. yeah he pulled it out but every time he see's the tractor he walks to it,,,,thru the fence ,,,,,thru the gates ...thru anything a 1850# horse doesn"t have many stops, Great Guy.

I have had the pleasure of using Heavy Horses in a cedar bush. It is a beautiful thing to see a work horse pull, though it does take an experienced handler and an experienced horse.

2 brothers in my area run a sustainable wood production operation. They have a well trained horse that takes the log from the cut site, and pulls it on his own to their sawmill. One man works at each end, hooking up, or unhooking. My grandfather was a horse logger and loved it. On delicate country (like a high water table) they are much less damaging than wheeled or tracked equipment.

Nic36 said:
I didn't intend to upset any of the horse lovers here. Heck, my Dad has a mule, donkey and 4 horses, so I'm still around them from time to time. They're just not my cup of tea.

I just wanted to point out there is an extra risk when working around large powerful animals with a brain of their own.

It's like anything else, take the proper precautions and be aware of the dangers.

Nic, you didn't upset me, trust me :)

A decent sized draft horse is a powerful animal. And you're right, you can get hurt.

But art in motion when they do their thing !

There are still some logging companies that use horses for skidding. I've worked in mills and did logging where horses were used to skid logs out to the main trail where then the logs were loaded onto the skidder or a truck to then haul to the mill. They work great in those situations and also, as many stated, they don't tear up the ground like a cat or skidder would.

So yes, they would be great for skidding logs, but it definitely is best to have the ground froze and covered with snow. That way you aren't loading up the bark with lots of dirt which loves to eat into saw chains.

THanks for all the replies folks!

Im a very experienced horse handler, rider and have had some experience driving. We own about 20 head give or take. I make my living as a farrier so I'm pretty familiar with all things horse. Maybe I'll give it a try in next month or so!

Status
Not open for further replies.